Thread: My turn to gloat

My turn to gloat

I just got home with, what I hope is, one of the deals of the century. A slightly used Powermatic 1632 wide belt sander. This one had suffered through a tornado with a couple of doors missing, power box and cable missing, and some scraped up paint. A $6,000 sander that I paid $500 for. I've been looking for a wide belt sander for a long time and even though this is an open sided style, I believe it will fill the bill nicely.

Any Creeker with experience with one of these please feel free to chime in.

Congrats-I love Powermatic equipment....

Wow - looks like a sweet machine! Congrats!

No pics - didn't happen.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I believe I have the Grizzly version of that same machine. I bought it new several years ago and use it on almost every project I do. I spent a heck of a lot more than what you paid. You'll love it especially if you glue up wide panels.
    Wood'N'Scout

You're going to need those doors as DC is not optional.

If the power box is missing consider using a vfd if this is a three phase machine.
    Bill

Thanks for all of the input. I am already pricing out the doors. The first thing I noticed was the location of the DC port which, as Mike said, forces me to install doors. Also, this machine is single phase, so the power box should be a no brainer. In fact, I believe I already have an extra cord lying around that was used on an old shaper. Can't wait to get this old girl up and running. Thanks, again, guys.

I had one of those and it did an excellent job. But your back is going to pay.

"no pictures, didn't happen." Is that a golden rule in the bible of woodworkers? I wonder.....I gave up tryin' to download pictures on here a long time ago. I've got a fb page that speaks for itself. And, if the feller didn't have the machine, he wouldn't be "noticing" the various things others are suggesting to him.

My apologies for soundin' a little outta sorts about that comment, but, it's one of those comments that makes me think we have to prove ourselves to others to be taken seriously. And I thought this was a "family friendly site." Or so I was adamantly informed.
    Sawdust703

I think it's more about people here just loving to see pictures of any machines that the community has, or just acquired. It's not a "prove it" thing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Barnhart View Post
    "no pictures, didn't happen." Is that a golden rule in the bible of woodworkers? I wonder.....I gave up tryin' to download pictures on here a long time ago. I've got a fb page that speaks for itself. And, if the feller didn't have the machine, he wouldn't be "noticing" the various things others are suggesting to him.

My apologies for soundin' a little outta sorts about that comment, but, it's one of those comments that makes me think we have to prove ourselves to others to be taken seriously. And I thought this was a "family friendly site." Or so I was adamantly informed.

Its just an SMC "saying". Similar to telling someone they "stink" if they got a really good deal on something. Although I am from the good old days of bulletin boards and all text sites, pictures certainly enrich the content. Pictures linked from other sites too often go unattended, disappear and have a tenancy to make the associated content poor for the broken links.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 05-18-2017 at 8:50 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Is the number 1632 the size of the belt? I have the Grizzly G9983, which uses a 16x48 belt. It is great to have a wide belt sander, even a small one.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Barnhart View Post

Brad, the expression "No pics, didn't happen." has been around since the early days of Saw Mill Creek. It is a friendly jibe that we like pictures, nothing more. It is not questioning anyone's truthfulness.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Jim, I believe the "1632" number came from the capacity........16" fed from one side or 32" if you swap ends. The belt size is actually a 17X54. I've located many brands and styles for sale on several websites. I'll post pictures once I get her up and running.