Thread: I am 85% going to build a Shaker workbench...But

I am 85% going to build a Shaker workbench...But

Hello everyone,
    New to this site, but have read every "shaker workbench" thread here and abroad. I find myself ready to build myself a Shaker style workbench (the trend of the Roubo's is tempting though). Dimensions I think I'd like to aim for: Top 26"-28" wide, 3"-4" thick, and 7'-8' long. base 24"x 5.5'-6' total height at 34" Base will be fully pull drawers with no open door spaces. Wood will be Maple with Wanut accents.

Soooooo ?? Hardware : LN Twin screw 24" between centers.
    Veritas Twin 24"
    Lake Erie wood single screw leg vise
    Benchcrafted wheel leg vice,

Tail vise? Make my own wagon vise from a LV single screw or go with the Benchcrafted wagon?

My overall need for help is hardware choices versus my desire to make Furniture and do Cabinet work. Compared to most here Ive not been at this long since Im going on 7yrs. Until now Ive been able to make due with a cast-iron front vise and clamps. Im just tired of fighting my way through every project. It truly makes it UN FUN.

So what hardware is fundamentally the best for someone who wishes to do Furniture and Cabinet work. Or should I just give in and do a Benchcrafted Roubo?

Donny

Blog Entries
    Howdy Don and welcome to the Creek.

My only help would be to encourage you to look at how you work with what you have and how it would be different with something else.

For a long time a wagon vise seemed to me like a great way to go. Then while working it occurred to me that it would limit some of the things my present vise is able to handle. My current vise racks considerably. My solution is a shim stack to counter act the racking. It also limits the vises ability to close more than needed on the piece being held. This prevents the work piece from bowing if a vise is overly tightened. This is like making lemonade from lemons.

A twin screw vise seems like a good deal, but for me a Moxon vise for setting on top of the bench might actually do better for the projects on which a twin screw vise would be helpful. For me cutting dovetails would be easier if the stock was a touch higher.

A short apron is something to my liking. The apron on a Nicholson bench is a bit too much for my liking.

Of course all of these things are different for each person and the types of projects they plan to tackle.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I use both the Benchcrafted leg vise and tail vise and have no issues with either. The leg vise is the most used of the two. I also use a shop made Moxon for my panel gripping for end work set up on my benchtop to elevate the work closer to my eyes. I also believe the other brands of hardware you mentioned will work just fine, matter of personal choice really because I can't recall anyone saying anything was wrong with the hardware itself on the brands you mention. The only negative that comes to mind is that, as I recall, some folks have stated that a twin screw vise mounted (built in) along the side of their bench was not as handy/used as much as they originally thought it would be. Then again, others have had great success with that set up.
    David

Blog Entries
    You are in a very good place. You have done enough to have a clear idea of what is UN FUN with your current setup. Think about what your current vise does not do for you and what would solve it. Just as important, think about what your current vise setup does do for you and make sure you don't lose that.

For me the LV twin screw solved my problems. I didn't really use the quick-release function on my old vise enough for that to be a deal breaker. I didn't often work with panels wider than the 22-odd inches that I can fit between the screws so that wasn't a highly weighted decision factor.

The wagon vise was cool and traditional but, I discovered just how non-critical this was to me. I have a few vises to choose from for the tail of my new bench but, I have not even taken the time to decide and put one on yet. I'll get there but, I am very surprised how little this has affected my work.

How do you use dog holes? Holddowns? Stops? Your methodology with all of these can affect your vise decisions. I have a field of dog holes between my twinscrew and the back edge of my bench. This is important to me but, someone else couldn't care less.

This is the new top setting on the old bench.

TNNW (65).jpg

The end "grabber" holes were a near-zero effort add-on which I have actually used several times but, could do without. I think with a quick review of what your current work holding setup does and does not do you will find it easy to decide on your next end-game.

To your drawers/Shaker format. My previous bench had one area that did not have enough room between the top of the drawer box and the underside of the bench to reach under/through. Although this was only about a third of the bench it was amazing how often the inability to get under that area ticked me off. The new bench has room under the entire surface except for where the top sets on the base.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 05-14-2017 at 10:32 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I first saw a picture of the Shaker cabinet workbench in 1973. It seemed like a nice thing. My father saw it in person and brought me a post card of it around 1985. Since then I have seen many pictures of the bench and many reproductions of it. But here is the thing: No other Shaker benches of this type have been found. The Shakers had more than a dozen, maybe two dozen communities, many with large woodworking shops. You have to wonder if the Shakers made this one bench and learned their lesson. They were otherwise great ones for repeating utilitarian innovations.
    Last edited by Warren Mickley; 05-14-2017 at 12:50 PM.

Warren, that product uniform compliance penchant could be the reason for the no sex shakering. Most of us have heard at least one guy say "I got 11 Kids.....TWO good ones!"

Blog Entries
    There is no doubt that a shaker workbench gets tremendous style points and I had always wanted to build one as well. Fast forward two decades and my bench is a simple 3" top on a standard base. The reason I don't plan to change is because anything in the dog holes goes to the floor. With no cabinets, it's very easy to sweep under and I've found that critical. The simple top enables clamping anywhere and my vices are simple record style in both the front and right end. One row of dog holes an inch from the front and another 8" behind that. So far, there isn't anything I can't accomplish on it.

No style points and it's NOT attractive, but the Shakers used to say "Beauty lies in function". In that sense, it's beautiful.

My favorite and most used vise is my LN tail vise, cut all my dovetails, chop most mortises, and do most saw cutting there.

Was not an aha moment for me, slowly realizing all the functionality of the vise....as the work flow migrated more and more from my Moxon, (on dedicated joinery bench) and leg vise, I realized why Krenov called the tail vise on his workbench "the main vise"

Not saying it will replace the other types of vises, but would not want a bench without one, now that I have used one.

Have to say that I also really like my BC crisscross leg vise, it's a very large chop, almost 16" wide at the top, it,s super smooth and the width allows a lot of clamping variations.

Currently adding a cabinet with drawers (24 drawers) under my bench, leaving room in front for my sliding deadman, and room on top for clamping and cleaning. When I'm done my bench will look more Shaker than Roubo ;-)

Good. Luck with the build,

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    You are in a very good place. You have done enough to have a clear idea of what is UN FUN with your current setup. Think about what your current vise does not do for you and what would solve it. Just as important, think about what your current vise setup does do for you and make sure you don't lose that.

For me the LV twin screw solved my problems. I didn't really use the quick-release function on my old vise enough for that to be a deal breaker. I didn't often work with panels wider than the 22-odd inches that I can fit between the screws so that wasn't a highly weighted decision factor.

The wagon vise was cool and traditional but, I discovered just how non-critical this was to me. I have a few vises to choose from for the tail of my new bench but, I have not even taken the time to decide and put one on yet. I'll get there but, I am very surprised how little this has affected my work.

How do you use dog holes? Holddowns? Stops? Your methodology with all of these can affect your vise decisions. I have a field of dog holes between my twinscrew and the back edge of my bench. This is important to me but, someone else couldn't care less.

This is the new top setting on the old bench.

TNNW (65).jpg

The end "grabber" holes were a near-zero effort add-on which I have actually used several times but, could do without. I think with a quick review of what your current work holding setup does and does not do you will find it easy to decide on your next end-game.

To your drawers/Shaker format. My previous bench had one area that did not have enough room between the top of the drawer box and the underside of the bench to reach under/through. Although this was only about a third of the bench it was amazing how often the inability to get under that area ticked me off. The new bench has room under the entire surface except for where the top sets on the base.

Thanks for the feedback and thoughts. My current vise use could be achieved with Benchcrafted or a Twin screw. I guess thats why Im torn. I will post a couple pics below to show my thoughts.

I went through everyones posts above. Thank you for taking the time to weigh-in, as there was a lot of sound advice and more importantly good questions. Ive tried to attach pictures of two of the bench that have inspired me to move in this direction. The Fine woodworking bench has the LN twin screw. The other is more what I was aiming for but without the doors as I just want drawers. Additionally I would maintain a 4" distance between the drawer case and the tops bottom, But the front apron would be low enough that you wouldn't visually see that area unless you got down to look. I just feel this would do all Ive needed done these last years.

Are there any project types you do or furniture pieces you make or have made that either of these would not have worked for you?

Thanks again for all the help. I do appreciate it.

Don Curtis
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Nichols View Post
    My favorite and most used vise is my LN tail vise, cut all my dovetails, chop most mortises, and do most saw cutting there.

Was not an aha moment for me, slowly realizing all the functionality of the vise....as the work flow migrated more and more from my Moxon, (on dedicated joinery bench) and leg vise, I realized why Krenov called the tail vise on his workbench "the main vise"

Not saying it will replace the other types of vises, but would not want a bench without one, now that I have used one.

Have to say that I also really like my BC crisscross leg vise, it's a very large chop, almost 16" wide at the top, it,s super smooth and the width allows a lot of clamping variations.

Currently adding a cabinet with drawers (24 drawers) under my bench, leaving room in front for my sliding deadman, and room on top for clamping and cleaning. When I'm done my bench will look more Shaker than Roubo ;-)

Good. Luck with the build,

Andy
    You pretty much summed up my dream bench. I think Im gonna pull the trigger and just get to it!!!

Don Curtis

FWIW, I have a roubo with a BC wagon vise and chain leg vise and couldn't be happier. If I were to change anything, it might be to go with a LN tail vise and I would likely have built in the crisscross (the chain was a retrofit). You can read the long process here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...and-Bench-Dead

Have a friend with a roubo and he has a set of drawers underneath just as you describe. The carcass gives plenty of clearance for holdfasts and clamps and seems more straightforward than a shaker cabinet. Plus has the benefit of being build in two stages and the cabinet could be separated.

Good luck on the build and hope to see pics of your progress. A bench is definitely a big project, but was a game-changer in terms of enjoyment for me.

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra