Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: $10 Tool Box?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Just an FYI, 1/4"-28 UNF might be uncommon in Neander circles but it is a common machine screw size. It is simply a fine thread 1/4" screw.
    It is uncommon in more than just Neander circles. I have even looked for them at more than one supplier of fasteners.

The arbitrator of this might be Dr. Google. Two searches:

> 1/4-28 bolt < brought up five hits:

1:4-28 Bolt.jpg

> 1/4-24 bolt < brought up 381,000 hits:

1:4-24 bolt.jpg

Just for fun a search was done on the most common 1/4" bolt, the 1/4-20, it garnered 495,000 hits.

The Google search on the 1/4-28 bolt doesn't actually produce sources for the fasteners.

It is an odd duck, just like many other thread forms Stanley used over the years.

I do know some are available and used in some places. They do not appear to be commonly used.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    It is uncommon in more than just Neander circles. I have even looked for them at more than one supplier of fasteners.
    ...I do know some are available and used in some places. They do not appear to be commonly used.
    Maybe they are outlawed on your end of the country! Home Depot carries them here. So does the local hardware store. I keep 1/4-28 bolts and set screws at hand when I need more control of the force or when I want more threads in a thinner piece of metal.

I have more trouble with 5/16" threads - none of my sets of taps includes a 5/16-24 which I would rather use for set screws. Ack, I'm going to have to break down and buy a tap!

JKJ

Jim, as a machinist I have drilled & tapped hundreds of 1/4-28 UNF holes. They are commonly used in aerospace where they add additional strength in soft metal applications.
    Google "tap & drill chart" on Google Images and you'll see it listed on almost every chart. You won't see 1/4-24 very often. I have never drilled & tapped a 1/4-24 hole.

Ps, Google 1/4-28 screw; "About 5,590,000 results (0.36 seconds)"
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    An odd tap, that is what Stanley used on a lot of combination planes for the wing bolts and screws.

I was a bit taken aback last week while browsing a rather new farm store to this area. They actually had some 1/4-28 bolts in stock. It is the first time I have seen them stocked anywhere and I have looked a lot.

jtk
    Try your local Ace hardware store. Mine has them. The choice isn't great, but there are some.

And, yes, I'm with others: it's a standard National Fine thread pitch.

Blog Entries
    Maybe they are outlawed on your end of the country! Home Depot carries them here.
    Maybe it is a north coast thing.

I know it is listed as a standard thread. BTW, one of my taps is a 1/4-28.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

The question now is..
    rasp.JPG
    What does this thing do?
    teeth.JPG
    Those are all very sharp, and pointy teeth.
    Rasp? Or, a saw?

Another part of this haul, was a pair of saws..
    good saw.JPG
    This one had a decent handle...wrong hardware. It was also bent in the plate,,, badly bent. Was beyond saving. I had an older Disston No. 7 that had the wrong brass hardware.....Traded out those for the hardware in the junker saws.
    The other saw had handle "issues..
    ugly handle.JPG
    Warranted Superior medallion, brass bolts....tossed the handle....was checking the plate....not even a hint of any bends. Saved the handle from the other saw, and made a decent WS crosscut saw out of it. Badly bent plate? Tossed it out. Wasn't in the "mood" to keep the junky stuff.
    rivet bolt.JPG
    Someone had gone to the trouble to add a riveted rod through the broken handle....meh. $1 each for these two saws, mainly for the hardware....wound up with a user saw in the process.
    DSCF0006.JPGBoth saw plates were about this rusty.....the non-bent one is now clean and shiny. The No. 7 now has the correct bolts.....maybe I won this round.

Have another Village-wide sale coming up this weekend....maybe my luck will be better?

Those tapered drill bits are all cleaned up. Morse taper. Smallest one is in 16ths, the others are in 32nds and 64ths.

Have a 1/2 drill bit, that someone had turned the shank down to 1/4"....

Have two LARGE, straight shanked ( no taper) bits marked as "FORD" in script. Both are marked with an USAC. One ( smaller of the two) has the number 5468, the larger one has a 546. Both MAY be the same size.
    DSCF0005.JPGDSCF0001.JPG
    Also found and cleaned up a small center punch.

Can't have all these bits without the punch.

Just slowly cleaning my way through this mess. Have some in a drill index at the moment, as well. Not sure what to do with the Ford drill bits....
    Last edited by steven c newman; 05-17-2017 at 10:49 PM.

Might be from a Ford plant...USAC is United States Auto Club. Not sure how these got into the fellow's tool box....

The "other" brace?
    brace.JPG
    10" sweep, barber chuck. Ratchet and chuck work great.
    Parts saws? threw out the bad stuff, reuse the good
    parts saw.JPG
    Three more items followed me home today...
    ruler.JPG
    Someone had cut a 12" ruler in half...
    DSCF0015 - Copy.JPG
    Works for me..
    chisel.JPG
    Already had a wider version of this 3/4" chisel in the shop...
    blockhead.JPG
    And a "mutt". Other than the knob, the rest is steel. Spent $3 today...at one sale. Maybe have better luck tomorrow....if it doesn't rain.

Saw has been shortened by 4" to make it a Panel saw..
    DSCF0007.JPG
    Hope I got the toe shaped correctly..
    DSCF0009.JPG
    Saw is now hanging on the side of the til, alongside the "Cleveland" saw.
    DSCF0003.JPG
    What I spent $3 on, on Saturday. North Brothers No. 35, with 6 patent dates...$1 Turned my nose up at two very pitted Froes....$35 for the smaller one. Didn't see much else I needed at the sales.
    ( we did score a solid wood framed Futon with mattresses. for $35)

Not too hateful a week?

tool box.jpg
    Last July, I found this at a garage sale....I think it was also $10
    IMAG0005.jpg
    This one was full, though..
    insides 2.jpg
    More I dug down, the more toys I found...
    insides 1.jpg
    Not all was for woodworking.....but there was enough that was.

IF you happen to see a tool box sitting around on a rust hunt, pick it up...if it has a load inside, ask how much. Never know what they just threw in a box.
    screwdrivers.jpg
    Screwdrivers that look a lot like Stanleys..
    weird tools.jpg
    Or maybe a few of these? Never know.......

Blog Entries
    I wonder if some collector would make you a nice profit on the old Snap On ratchet.

One little known item about Snap On tools. During WW II tools made for government contracts had a G preceding the model number. These are not covered by the Snap On guarantee. This was because the price to fulfill the bid/contract was too low to cover their usual warrantee.

jtk

I went and check that ratchet just now....Model No. F-70
    Has "patent applied for" on one side of the handle
    other side has Snap-on KENOSHA, WIS.

3/8" drive.

Might be a good one...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    I went and check that ratchet just now....Model No. F-70
    Has "patent applied for" on one side of the handle
    other side has Snap-on KENOSHA, WIS.

3/8" drive.

Might be a good one...
    I had a 1/4" drive with a ratchet that would occasionally slip. The Snap On guy who serviced the shop where I worked didn't want to replace it since it was no longer produced. Usually they just replace the inner works. When the wife and I were out in the area of the Snap On warehouse I took it in and the person there was willing to replace it with a newer ratchet.

Keeping it your own kit might be more rewarding over the years than what you might get by selling it.

jtk