Thread: Tis a shame...

Tis a shame...

One of the planes I picked this weekend....
    DSCF0013.JPG
    Yep, three patent dates
    no.4c.JPG
    Low knob, rosewood handle, small brass wheel. Frog adjust bolt, Iron had the Triangle logo ( but not the SW) Types out as a Stanley No. 4c, type 10....
    There was one crack by the mouth..
    DSCF0011.JPG
    Not much of one, not hurting anything....

But, the real shame of all of this Stanley Goodness..
    cracked.JPG
    Tis a shame. I think I know a fellow named Super Dave, over at Chisel & Forge who can silver braze this, I hope. I can leave this sitting on a shelf, all cleaned up, until I can get it fixed...

Bummer...Maybe I'll have better luck with the other half of this Rust Hunt buy..
    two planes.JPG
    The one in front, a Stanley Defiance #3...already have the tote fixed.
    Did not see that crack until I got home....Bummer.

Blog Entries
    That's a shame, but it happens to all of us at one time or another.

You might check the auction site for a replacement base. It could be better than a brazing.

A broken base can be repurposed to hold a tote while it is being glued or is being otherwise worked.

There have been occasions where such planes are sold on that auction site as rare chisel planes. Break it off at the mouth and do some creative metal work to make it look nice.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hi Steven,
    I've noticed you post a lot of planes that you acquire, I found this transitional plane made by the Upson Nut Co. of Unionville CT
    No. 3J and has a Stanley Iron, I understand that they were bought out by Stanley shortly after this was made.
    IMG_1444.jpg
    Please take note of the Iron
    IMG_1452.jpg
    Also the ball pien has the screw wedge but the picture wont load.

Stanley was very good at buying out other makers, then using up all their inventory, before closing the factory down.

I have a few broken ones my self, but I look at it this way better their mine than the smelter.

IMG_2416[1].jpgIMG_2415[1].jpgIMG_2414[1].jpg

I have a Millers Falls No. 14 that was repaired by the fellow at Chisel & Forge. Been using the heck out of it. The No. 14 is the same size as a Stanley #5.

There is also a Millers Falls No. 9 in the shop that had been repaired. It is the back up to the other No.9 in the shop.

Although, there are some that are beyond all hope..
    SDC12764.jpg
    A DE6 arrived in the mail a few years ago......looking like this. Refund paid for a new base casting.
    SDC12762.jpg
    Managed to save the frog, lever cap, iron and chipbreaker. Needed new knobs. Wound up with a N0.6c with Diamond Edge logo-ed parts.

That is sad.

Apparently, my broken plane is a Type 11, not a type 10......makes things worse.....

Cast iron can be brass brazed. We repaired a Stanley #1 which I was given over 30 years ago. It was broken off of both sides. Apparently the plane was dropped when nearly new,as it had a minty looking decal on the handle. It was repaired by grinding bevels down each crack until NEARLY beveled all the way through. NEARLY is the important word here,as the plane halves would never fit back together accurately if beveled until there was no original bit of the surfaces left. After brazing,I belt ground the braze off flush and used finer belts to give a factor like finish.

The problem,of course,was the brass is a totally different color from the cast iron. But,Brownell's Oxpho Blue gun blue did a great job of darkening both the iron and the braze. If I had continued,I think I could have completely masked the brazing job. I gave a good,several coats of black spray can enamel to the inside of the body before reasembly. The heat,of course,hadn't done anything good about the original japanning!

The Early American Industries was visiting the museum,and the tool maker's shop. I showed them the #1 and explained how Jon and I had restored it. At the tool flea market(Always my favorite part of the meeting!) ,a guy,knowing full well that the plane had been repaired,gave me $700.00 for it. Ones that were never broken were getting $1200-$1400. Some dealer grumbled that the plane might be sold as non repaired at some auction some day. But,you'd have to be pretty stupid not to see the wide(over 1/8")brazing lines on each side. But,they say "A fool and his money are soon parted" At least,my buyer knew all about the plane,and no one twisted his leg to offer more.
    Last edited by george wilson; 05-14-2017 at 6:22 PM.

In my youth I worked with a number of old guys who had planes repaired like that. Usually broken by someone else who paid for the repair but stayed on 'bad guy' list.

Jim,

You have mentioned the repurposing of a broken base before. It didn't stick though. Now that I have glued up a broken tote, and have more to do, it stuck. Good idea, thank for the thought. By the way, the broken tote I glued up, sanded, refinished, and put on one of my planes turned out well enough that you can hardly see where it was broken, unless you look very closely. It seems to be holding up great.

Again, thanks for the idea, i wish that I had not thrown away another broken plane bottom or two.

Thanks and regards,

Stew

Blog Entries
    I never had to, but I would be ok with a brazed repair. I thought that's how you repaired a broken plane body.

I need to get ahold of the fellow at Chisel & Forge. He also repaired a Millers Falls No. 14 that was almost as bad.

He does cut a "V" groove along the cracks. He pre-heats the entire casting. Uses a No.1 tip on his torch. He also uses a silver brazing rod ( blue) and has heat-sinks all around the area he is working on.

I don't have the torch. I can mail the plane done Texas way, and let Dave do his magic.

I have both the Millers Falls No. 14 and a Millers Falls No. 9 that have been repaired. Haven't had any problems with either one.