Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A project not seen often, if at all, in this forum...

A project not seen often, if at all, in this forum...

To be consistent with forum rules, there actually is some turning in this project - the African Blackwood clean out plug and the mouthpiece end of the haft. Since my early days in the 70s making longrifles I have wanted to do a pipe tomahawk. I have the time at this point in life, so I finally did it.

The head is a casting from R E Davis. It comes as a sand casting of good quality, but with casting lugs on it and a sandy surface. It took several hours of filing and sanding to get it ready for aging. I added some filed features on the bottom and top edges of the blade area. I found some old gravers I bought in the 70s with which I had never experimented. With some effort, I was able to scratch out a rough engraving of crossed arrows on each side. No future for me in the engraving department!

The curly maple haft came pre-drilled thru the center, but not shaped. Getting the head fitted is a laborious and tedious task. The fit of the tapered eye has to be exact as when the head reaches its final position, the fit must be tight with absolutely no gaps. The haft is shaped a bit at a time as the head is repeatedly tried on for fit. About a 1/4" at a time. Takes a while to go 22".

It had been about 35 years or more since I have done any significant carving, and curly maple is NOT the wood of choice for that - especially a tight curl such as this piece. I did not have the right carving chisels when this was done, but I am beginning to rectify that!

The scalplock is courtesy of my neighbor and one of his horses!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Left click my name for homepage link.

John, can't say I've ever seen anything like it. I can sure appreciate the work involved and it is really a masterpiece.

Well done. That is a fantastic looking work. No, have never seen anything like it.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

how does it smoke?

Look really good.
    C&C WELCOME

Super effort! It appears that it would pass muster as the REAL thing an antique.
    Equal to your many efforts!
    Well done.

Beautiful work John! You should be very proud of this one! I can see this displayed over your fireplace - along with one of your Kentucky rifles! Very impressive and I love the rich color you gave the curly maple!

So, going into production mode with this? Ha Ha! Seriously though, you going to display it at Berea? Most likely would generate all sorts of interest!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

As is typical in most of your work I have seen, it is your attention to the details that makes this so special.
    Really nice job! Thanks for sharing.

That's a very nice piece John!

That is one cool piece of work. Excellent craftsmanship, and you should be very proud of it. I'd like to see a photo of one of your longrifles.

Very nice John, quite the diversification.

"The best things in life are not things."

Great stuff....not a gun buff ,but I've known some people involved in it, and read a little about the efforts to bring it back and have seen your name in that context. Never dawned on me that you are the same guy.

That's gorgeous work. I think the engraving of the arrows adds to the antique feel of it. The shaping of the shaft is very elegant looking and as mentioned, you did that curly maple a great service with your finish. Beautiful.
    USMC '97-'01

Thanks, guys! It was a fun project and revived my interest in carving so I suspect I will include some in one or more future works - now that I am acquiring some proper gouges and tools!

Quote Originally Posted by allen thunem View Post
    how does it smoke?
    Allen, the pipe tomahawk ("peace pipe") was typically smoked in commemoration of a peace accord or treaty arrangement with former enemies or antagonists. After 40 years in the courtroom, my accumulation of enemies and antagonists is sizeable and a peace accord probably isn't possible without my funeral being involved! Even if it were possible, I would need to rent a convention center for the ceremony!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Beautiful work John! You should be very proud of this one! I can see this displayed over your fireplace - along with one of your Kentucky rifles! Very impressive and I love the rich color you gave the curly maple!

So, going into production mode with this? Ha Ha! Seriously though, you going to display it at Berea? Most likely would generate all sorts of interest!
    Steve, this piece won't be for sale. The Artisan Center usually requires that all pieces exhibited in special exhibits be for sale, but if there was an appropriate exhibit where I could simply display it I would be glad to do that. Production - definitely not, but.....I could envision another one or two in the future!

Quote Originally Posted by Art Moore View Post
    That is one cool piece of work. Excellent craftsmanship, and you should be very proud of it. I'd like to see a photo of one of your longrifles.
    Art, my longrifles days were in the 70s and early 80s. I have only three still in my possession and there is a pic of one of them on my website.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Great stuff....not a gun buff ,but I've known some people involved in it, and read a little about the efforts to bring it back and have seen your name in that context. Never dawned on me that you are the same guy.
    Mel, I suspect it was someone else whose name you saw. It has been decades (before the internet!) since I was active in that genre.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Wonderful and any of my ancestors would be proud to carry that one!
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN