Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whiteside 9700, MuscleChuck, Magnate Eliminator RC QR Router Chuck - Difference?

Question Whiteside 9700, MuscleChuck, Magnate Eliminator RC QR Router Chuck - Difference?

So somehow I missed that any of these products existed and after finding out about them I'm now considering picking one up for my Porter Cable 7518 that lives in my router table. I have a couple of questions though. After researching these quick change/release router chucks it seems there are four companies all selling the same product but I have not been able to confirm that. So far I have found the following:

• Whiteside 9700 (LINK)
    • MuscleChuck SHA0002 Eliminator RC (LINK)
    • Magnate Eliminator RC (LINK)
    • The Eliminator Chuck (LINK)

I realize there was some history with this product and the patent being sold off by the original inventor a number of years ago, but what I'm wondering is whether or not all these products are actually the same and have just been rebranded. They all cost about the same and look the same in photos but that isn't enough to confirm.

Also I'm interested in hearing from any of you out there that own and use any of these and how you like them.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Can't speak to any of those but the Muscle Chuck, which I think is the original. I use one just about every day in my PC 7518, in a table, and also have one on my Bosch 1617, which used to be in the table (and now doesn't get used near as much). Like a collet, you need to keep it clean, but it works great. Haven't touched a collet wrench in ages.

Couple of thing to add: It adds a little over an inch in height, which might or might not be good for you. With my router lift, it's not an issue either way.

Installation is critical, as far as not over tightening when you screw it on to your router shaft, but that's covered in the instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    Can't speak to any of those but the Muscle Chuck, which I think is the original. I use one just about every day in my PC 7518, in a table, and also have one on my Bosch 1617, which used to be in the table (and now doesn't get used near as much). Like a collet, you need to keep it clean, but it works great. Haven't touched a collet wrench in ages.
    Couple of thing to add: It adds a little over an inch in height, which might or might not be good for you. With my router lift, it's not an issue either way.

Installation is critical, as far as not over tightening when you screw it on to your router shaft, but that's covered in the instructions.
    Thank you Nick, good info.

I have the Musclechuck, Type 1. No complaints, it works as advertised. I checked it for concentricity when I got it and it was running at .0002 - pretty near perfect. If you are going to run 1/4" shank bits you have to be careful of which adapter collet you use - I learned that the hard way. I had a no-name adapter that would not grip. I bought a Whiteside #6400 adapter that works well.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I have the Musclechuck, Type 1. No complaints, it works as advertised. I checked it for concentricity when I got it and it was running at .0002 - pretty near perfect. If you are going to run 1/4" shank bits you have to be careful of which adapter collet you use - I learned that the hard way. I had a no-name adapter that would not grip. I bought a Whiteside #6400 adapter that works well.
    Will definitely be ordering the Whiteside 6400 with whichever option I go with. I have been planning to go with the Whiteside 9700 but I'm holding off a bit to see if anyone can confirm all four are actually the same.

Ben, if I'm remembering correctly (toss up!), the inventor of the Muscle Chuck was a machinist in the racing community. Just felt there had to be a better way than collet wrenches. If the other versions are the same, it may be the same guy, don't know.

I can tell you that I've never had an instance of a bit slipping or acting up in any way. And there is no doubt in my mind that the MC is a better solution than the collet that came with my 7518. That thing looked like it was trying to fall apart just sitting there.

Ben, if I'm remembering correctly (toss up!), the inventor of the Muscle Chuck was a machinist in the racing community. Just felt there had to be a better way than collet wrenches. If the other versions are the same, it may be the same guy, don't know.

I can tell you that I've never had an instance of a bit slipping or acting up in any way. And there is no doubt in my mind that the MC is a better solution than the collet that came with my 7518. That thing looked like it was trying to fall apart just sitting there.
    Yea the history is mentioned here post #5. Still can't confirm if all these different versions are the same or not unfortunately.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 05-15-2017 at 6:26 PM. Reason: Removed forum link per TOS

I used to frequent those forums (no relation to the Nick that posts over there), which is where I first came across the MC. For some reason, their forum software was wreaking havoc on the tablet I use for the 'net, so I quit going.

If you do get the MC, don't bother with the Allen wrench they sell. Any 4mm will work, but I'd recommend one with a ball head and T-handle.

I used to frequent those forums (no relation to the Nick that posts over there), which is where I first came across the MC. For some reason, their forum software was wreaking havoc on the tablet I use for the 'net, so I quit going.

If you do get the MC, don't bother with the Allen wrench they sell. Any 4mm will work, but I'd recommend one with a ball head and T-handle.
    Was planning to buy a Wera Ball End 5/32" driver: (LINK)

Or even cooler: LINK
    Last edited by Ben Rivel; 05-14-2017 at 2:17 PM.

I'm a bit of a Tim Taylor type, (grunt grunt). I wouldn't trust getting it tight enough with a screwdriver ball driver.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I'm a bit of a Tim Taylor type, (grunt grunt). I wouldn't trust getting it tight enough with a screwdriver ball driver.
    As I understand it over tightening the collet screws on these chucks is a bit of a problem. They say in the manual they supposedly that they should only be tightened 1/4 turn with an allen wrench. Apparently the bolts will bend easily from over tightening despite them being made of quality material. Thats why I was thinking a ball end driver might be perfect to help keep me from tightening too much.

As long as the bit doesn't slip you're golden. IIRC, they recommend an "L" type wrench.
    A #10 cap screw standard torque is ~30 inch-pounds. That would be hard to do with a screwdriver, at least for me.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 05-14-2017 at 11:41 PM.

Andy Rooney

Musclechuck works perfectly for me - using a PC 7518 in a router table and I no longer need to take one of the Bench Dog router plate collars out to tighten the bit

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    As I understand it over tightening the collet screws on these chucks is a bit of a problem. They say in the manual they supposedly that they should only be tightened 1/4 turn with an allen wrench. Apparently the bolts will bend easily from over tightening despite them being made of quality material. Thats why I was thinking a ball end driver might be perfect to help keep me from tightening too much.
    Ben, not sure which one of these you're referring to, but with the Muscle Chuck it's the nut that attaches the MC to the router shaft that you shouldn't over tighten (12 ft. lbs.). They say to tighten it about 1/4 turn past hand tight. The cap screw that you use the Allen wrench on (to secure the bit) is rated to 125 ft. lbs., which is why I use the T-handle on it.