Thread: Name this saw (please)

Name this saw (please)

Anyone know what this saw is named so I can order one?2017-05-14 14.36.27.jpg
    No, the sky is not falling - just chunks of it are.

Japanese flooring saw????? Seems very short for that,though. A flooring saw is used to start a cut on a floor,which will be enlarged after the "regular" saw can get through the floor.

Some veneer saws of European make resemble that saw. You will probably have to wait for the Japanese saw expert for a correct answer.

woodworker-dot-com has what looks like the exact thing, called "Japanese Veneer saw" - an ebay vendor calls a similar one a "kirinuki nokugiri". Maybe Stan or Brian know the real name, some sort of half-azebiki.
    Karl

It looks close to the veneer saw, but it has a starter tooth that the veneer saw does not have as seen in this new photo. And the blade is replaceable. I used a diamond stone to hone the sides (sorta of like you may do to a veneer saw) to try and sharpen it a bit. I had acquired the saw for about nothing at a garage sale as part of a boatload of other stuff. It looks to be a very handy saw for starting smaller cuts in the middle of a piece. I really would like to find a replacement. It works better now that I side sharpened it, but a new one would work much better. All of the writing on the package it came in was in Japanese.

Any help would be appreciated. I do appreciate the two responses so far!

Many Kind Regards . . . AllenSaw blade 2.jpg

Found it listed at woodworkers supply but it is discontinued. It is a 899-656 Japanese Veneer saw. Now if I can only find a supplier. I like this one because of the starting tooth or beak. Some of the others don't have this feature

George?