Thread: eggs

eggs

I had to do a batch of eggs for a customer awhile back. 70 of them from S.A mahogany

ron

Ron, you have the patience of Job! Nice work.....but, the rocking chair stole the thunder.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Eggs look more consistent than the eggs in cartons at grocery. Good job. Nice bowls and table in picture also in addition to the rocking chair. Bet there is a story on the table?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    Eggs look more consistent than the eggs in cartons at grocery. Good job. Nice bowls and table in picture also in addition to the rocking chair. Bet there is a story on the table?
    there is usually a story to most of my work.. I originally bulit it for a customer who I knew quite well and in the end didn't have the money to pay. I packed it around for 25 years before I finally sold it. top was 48 x 96"
    thank you for the comment
    ron

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Ron, you have the patience of Job! Nice work.....but, the rocking chair stole the thunder.
    thank you for the comment, it was just another job. I will post the chair
    ron

Quote Originally Posted by ron david View Post
    I had to do a batch of eggs for a customer awhile back. 70 of them from S.A mahogany
    Ron, Wow, turning that many eggs would drive me crazy! From what I can see in the picture your shape is good. I bite my tongue and don't comment when turned eggs don't look like eggs to me. I've collected chicken eggs every day here for that past dozen years and while there is a lot of variation in size and proportions (some are fatter than others), if the pointed end is not right the whole thing looks off.

BTW, I also collect a lot of guinea eggs which are considerably more pointed than chicken eggs, and at the moment have a nest of 17 peacock eggs which also have a significantly different shape. We incubate the guinea eggs and sell many dozens of chicks every year.

JKJ

Wonderful work...could I trouble you as to your technique for the eggs? My wife has placed an 'order' for next Easter, thanks...JOhn

technique is to put the wood on the lathe and turn it. procedure for these was to square up the reqired amount of material to the size required a litte oversize. to save time and exercise set your saw blade to a 45 and knock all the corners off. cut all blocks to the required length. drill an end for a small screw chuch. I have a fixture fir the drill press that I set up easily that I can drill end grain squares efficiently. first of all one should look art an egg and study it a bit and get the measures that you need and register the breaking point to either end. make a go-no-guage for the dia and start to turn. these all needed a small mounting space so a screw chuck wwas required. if you have to complete bothe ends the your material would be a little longer and I would use a dead centre in the headstock. a live centre in the tailstock. turn. for a batch I would just make a small vacuum chuck to fit the shape of the eggs and clean up the ends so the look right. for just a few I would turn off at the ends and clean up by hand
    ron

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Ron, Wow, turning that many eggs would drive me crazy! From what I can see in the picture your shape is good. I bite my tongue and don't comment when turned eggs don't look like eggs to me. I've collected chicken eggs every day here for that past dozen years and while there is a lot of variation in size and proportions (some are fatter than others), if the pointed end is not right the whole thing looks off.

BTW, I also collect a lot of guinea eggs which are considerably more pointed than chicken eggs, and at the moment have a nest of 17 peacock eggs which also have a significantly different shape. We incubate the guinea eggs and sell many dozens of chicks every year.

JKJ
    thank you for the kind words
    ron

I thrive on my fickle imagination to drive my inspiration .... don't think I would want to make that many of anything unless the money was my driving force.

I don't think a Chicken could have made a better looking batch of eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by ron david View Post

ron