Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hidden dovetail shop cabinet design

Arrow Hidden dovetail shop cabinet design

I just glued up the carcass for a small shop cabinet (18.5x7x30 inches) with hidden mitre dovetails. Carcass is 5/4 heart pine and dadoed shelves are 3/8". I am going to build drawers for the two lower 4" openings and I am wondering about design opinions for the doors. More specifically, should the doors be full height or just cover the upper 22" where the open shelving will be. Opinions?

IMG_0017.jpgIMG_0021.jpg

A shot of the corner.
    IMG_0019.jpgIMG_0020.jpg

My apologies, for computer skills are at the Neanderthal level and cannot figure how to rotate photos.

Hi Michael,
    What kind of doors and will you be adding a face frame?
    Rick

Rick,

i was not planning to build a face frame. As far as what type of doors I put on, that is dependent on whether I go full height or just the top 22". If full height I will probably build a door with some depth to it so as to allow tool storage on the door and to allow for door knobs. If only the upper 2/3 I will try to minimize door thickness so that it does not stick out too far from the plane of the drawers and that will be either frame and panel or a glue up.

Michael

Michael,
    I have something like that going on and it was a struggle to decide and went with raised panel doors but still not sure what the drawer front will look like right now its just a spacer so I can fit the doors. The bottom line was that I didn't want to open the doors to get to the drawers.

Rick

Nice job on the secret miter dovetails.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Ditto on the dovetails.

Is the cabinet for tools or other shop material? If for tools, cabinets never seem to be big enough in the long run, so more storage on the inside of the doors might be a good idea.

Look forward to seeing what you decide.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Thanks for the compliment Mike and Christopher. This was my first attempt at the secret mitre dovetail and I learned the hard way that one must cut pins first in order to transfer the layout. That corner is on the bottom of the cabinet.

I do do like the idea of the storage on the door, unfortunately I only thought of it after I rounded the edges over on the carcase and I am uncertain how the door will look intersecting that. And yes I know it is a little precious to worry about that in shop furniture, but I like to work on design as much as execute the design.

I understand the dilemma Rick. Any chance you can post a photo for inspiration?

Blog Entries
    Nicely done!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Michael, hope this helps this is in the trailer section of my abode and on top of the water heater, thinking about leaving the drawer front plain to look like part of the face frame to not draw any attention, kind of like, sorta a hidden space!
    Rick

IMG_2421.jpgIMG_2422.jpgIMG_2425.jpgIMG_2423.jpg

Thanks Brian.

I like that Rick. With the crisp lines that drawer just disappears.

I cant go in that direction as I have already cut the drawer fronts to be flush with the carcase.

An idea just occurred to me for a more uniform look. What about small flush mount doors for each shelf. That way when closed the shelves and the drawers would be of a type and in plane. Thoughts? Ideas for hinges?

Thanks

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Todrin View Post
    Thanks for the compliment Mike and Christopher. This was my first attempt at the secret mitre dovetail and I learned the hard way that one must cut pins first in order to transfer the layout. That corner is on the bottom of the cabinet.
    I think having to cut pins first is the real "secret" in those dovetails. A lot of people get caught with that because most of us do tails first.

Mike

[You don't need it but I'll post a link here to my tutorial on the secret miter dovetail.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 05-15-2017 at 1:40 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Todrin View Post
    An idea just occurred to me for a more uniform look. What about small flush mount doors for each shelf. That way when closed the shelves and the drawers would be of a type and in plane. Thoughts? Ideas for hinges?

Thanks

Michael
    See thats my problem changing horses in mid stream, do it all the time because I'm the only one I have to please.
    You could always leave the shelves open and drawers below, that was my original intention but in Ramona we only have 2 seasons,
    dust and dust with heat and the doors will help with that.
    Rick

Nice job on the dovetails Michael. Drawers behind doors on a shop cabinet is just another thing to fumble with in my opinion. It may be ok for decorative things like a spice cabinet but not so for the shop.
    Jim