Thread: Right size large chuck

Right size large chuck

I am changing lathes from a PM 90 that has a 1 1/2-8 thread to a Laguna 18-36 with a 1 1/4-8. I also have two mini lathes with 1"-8. The chucks with 1-8 are Nova G3 and Barracuda 2. I will get an adapter for the new lathe as I occasionally use them on my big lathe, no problem. For the PM 90 I have a Barracuda 4 and a Hurricane HTC 125 with 1 1/2-8 insert. I was going to change the insert, however when I went to remove it one of the back-out screws stripped and it is stuck. I didn't want to beat on it and ruin it, so I guess I will include it when I sell the PM 90.

So I want a correct (large) size chuck for the Laguna 18-36. The HTC didn't give me any problems, but was thinking to build the Nova chuck family. What would be the best choice, the Super Nova 2 of Titan? I'm not locked in to the Nova's and will also look at the Axmister and Record chucks and any other brand recommended.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Quote Originally Posted by William C Rogers View Post
    I am changing lathes from a PM 90 that has a 1 1/2-8 thread to a Laguna 18-36 with a 1 1/4-8. I also have two mini lathes with 1"-8. The chucks with 1-8 are Nova G3 and Barracuda 2. I will get an adapter for the new lathe as I occasionally use them on my big lathe, no problem. For the PM 90 I have a Barracuda 4 and a Hurricane HTC 125 with 1 1/2-8 insert. I was going to change the insert, however when I went to remove it one of the back-out screws stripped and it is stuck. I didn't want to beat on it and ruin it, so I guess I will include it when I sell the PM 90.

So I want a correct (large) size chuck for the Laguna 18-36. The HTC didn't give me any problems, but was thinking to build the Nova chuck family. What would be the best choice, the Super Nova 2 of Titan? I'm not locked in to the Nova's and will also look at the Axmister and Record chucks and any other brand recommended.
    William,

I have a bunch of Nova chucks, some G3, some Supernovas, and one Titan. I use these with a PM3520b and Jet1642. What kinds and sizes of things will you turn? The Titan is massive compared to the SN size. I've used it on large bowls and it is great. But I've used the Supernovas on 16" bows and 19" platters and they worked fine. I also use the Supernova chucks for most of what I like to turn - spindles, boxes, platters, smaller bowls, etc. If you primarily plan to turn big bowls and forms you might prefer the Titan. The solution - get one of each and compare!

Any request for chuck advice usually gets a lot of comments, often the chucks recommended are the brand the poster has and uses - not a lot of people have enough experience with a variety of chucks to be able to make useful comparisons. Some recommend Oneway, some Vicmark, etc. I really suspect almost any brand will work fine. I decided to stick with Nova so any jaw set I buy can be used on any other chuck. (BTW, the irony in the way this worked for me is I found that I really hated changing jaws and ended up with enough chucks so I almost never change jaws! I think I have 16 Nova chucks at the moment, most Supernova, some bought used. I also keep several chucks with duplicates of the jaws I use the most so I can leave work in one chuck while I work on something else in another.)

For the stripped set screw can you drill it and use an Easy Out? A mechanic or machine shop might be able to do this for you.

JKJ

and with drilling a set sccrew use a slow speed on the drill
    ron

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    William,

If you primarily plan to turn big bowls and forms you might prefer the Titan. The solution - get one of each and compare.

JKJ
    John, the soil in Indiana is evidently not as rich as the soil in Tennessee for growing chuck trees. I'm lucky if mine will produce one a year. Gouge trees I can usually get two a year. The more I think about it I will try something to get the insert out. Actually I broke the screw and messed it up trying to drill it out. It's one of the two used to remove the insert. May also ask the Woodturning store for ideas.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

you can also try sticking the chuck in the freezer for a whils so that it gets good a cold. that may free any contact that may be holding it and you may be able to get some sort of tool in there to turn it
    ron

Quote Originally Posted by ron david View Post
    you can also try sticking the chuck in the freezer for a whils so that it gets good a cold. that may free any contact that may be holding it and you may be able to get some sort of tool in there to turn it
    ron
    thanks Ron
    I didn't think about freezing, will try that. I can get a 1 1/2 to 1-8 threaded insert and then install a bolt to the insert to pull the insert out. So far my best thought about $20, but cheaper than a new chuck. If I can salvage this one then I will get the Super Nova 2 as the HTC will handle about anything.

William,
    I am a new turner and have not the experience or qualifications to make recommendations on brands, sizes, or what have you, of chucks; but, like John K. Jordan, I don't like the method of changing jaws that most chucks demand. I liked the Easy Wood Tools chuck that allows the removal and replacement of jaws in mere seconds by means of depressing a lock mechanism. Only I didn't care for the price of them so I kept researching chucks and making comparisons. That is when I came across a Nova chuck that I rarely see mentioned in ads, on websites, or discussion groups like this one; that is the
    Nova Lathes 8012 Insert Style SuperNOVA2 Chuck w/ Infinity Jaw Slides.
    Like the Easy Wood Chuck, each jaw slides into place and is locked there by a pin with spring tension. Takes mere seconds to remove and replace with jaws of your choice. Your existing Nova
    jaws are able to be used with the chuck with a relatively inexpensive conversion kit.
    Nova comments....
    The NOVA Infinity Quick Change system is a sophisticated line of high technology chuck and accessories offering quick change of jaws, much stronger grip, an uninterrupted range of compression and expansion sizes and enhanced work holding capacities. The NOVA Infinity Quick Change jaw design delivers amazingly fast jaw change outs. Using the NOVA Infinity Quick Change system, all four jaw segments can be removed and different jaws positively locked in place under 30 seconds! This makes it easy and fast to mount the right jaws and change out jaws for the next project or multiple projects. This will save you countless hours over the lifetime of your turning work. This is a full chuck option for those who are purchasing NOVA for the first time, or who want a full chuck alongside their existing NOVA technology. This option provides a solid geared chuck, compatible with lathes up to 20" swing. The Infinity Jaw key and Jaw slides are a metal amalgam, 3 x the tensile strength of machine grade steel. The secure embedded dovetail design provides a stronger and more rigid hold than the original NOVA screws and Jaws. The Jaw slides used are self locking, taper locked in line with the forward rotation of the chuck, holding tight at higher speeds and larger turning work. Also features auto stop slides, which restricts the opening of the chuck jaws beyond their maximum range of travel, delivering a safer turning experience and an indexing backing plate reinforced with stranded glass fibers for long life and strength.
    I purchased mine from the good people of Tools-Plus.com at this link
    nova-lathes-8012-supernova2-chuck-w-infinity-jaw-slides-7.jpg
    Perhaps this chuck will meet your needs.
    I also turn on the Laguna 18-36 Revo, it is my understanding that this chuck is capable of handling everything the Revo 18-36 is capable of handling.

For what it is worth.
    Last edited by Larry Pasha; 05-17-2017 at 12:24 PM.

Bill, I have a Titan, if you want to look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Gourieux View Post
    Bill, I have a Titan, if you want to look at it.
    Yes I would. I remember using the Super Nova 2 once on the club lathe and didn't seem to like it. I do have the G3 and like that chuck. I had forgotten about the Infinity and that seems like an option. Penn State now has a chuck with removable jaws and includes three sets. Haven't looked at it yet and not sure if they are dovetail or serrated jaws. Guessing serrated like their other chucks.

buying a lathe and accessories is worst than buying a car. Until it is over and done with. Hopefully you can then say I have this and really like it.