Thread: Pecan wood and Harbor Freight truck lift

Pecan wood and Harbor Freight truck lift

I was given the wood from a Pecan tree this week that ranged from about 26" D trunk to 8" D limb. The tree trimmers had the wood piled by the stump and had left when I arrived. I had installed the Harbor Freight truck lift earlier and this was second time to use and abuse. The base mount definitely needs rework. I forgot to take a photo of the 2 larger trunk sections that were on first load and weighed 350# or more, and the piece on the lift is about 300#+. The wood was very wet since Pecan trees only leafed out about a month back, and sap was running out when I unloaded. I did load all the wood (2 loads) and photo is smaller load.
    Pecan on lift 1.JPGPecan on lift 2.JPGPecan load 2.JPG

Really nice find--pecan is great in every way and spalts to fantastic colors.

Most truck beds are made out of super thin sheet metal. They're also only held on by a couple bolts. I can literally pick mine up by myself. I know this because I've had to do it a couple times to replace the in-tank fuel pump on my junky little pickup. I'm sure you know what to do, but you need to put some kind of plate on either side of the sheet metal to reinforce it.

As far as pecan goes, if it's green and from a healthy tree I've had bad luck drying roughouts. But the pieces that survive are really nice. The heartwood can be as red as cherry.