Thread: Ash Hope Chest

Ash Hope Chest

Thinking about making a hope chest for my daughter and I have a bunch of ash laying around. I have made a few projects with ash and always used a simple minwax / poly finish. The finish turns out ok, but nothing special. Would like to improve on the look.

Ash of course has pretty aggressive grain. Any suggestions on how you've approached ash?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.
    1 Thessalonians 4:11-12

I guess it depends what you like to look at. I personally prefer clear finishes so I wouldn't try to change anything. Cheers

I made some tables of ash. The grain is pretty distracting so I muted the look by dying the wood dark reddish brown first, then topped with Arm'r'seal. table 2IMG_1305.jpg

One of my favorite finishes on ash is dark walnut Danish oil. This is an ash table I made a few years ago. I find it takes at least two coats for the coloring to even out. Wait a few days until it no longer smells and then any topcoat will do, but wait a week for water based poly. I also like the General Finishes oil based liquid stains on ash, esp Danish Teak.
    IMG_1336.jpg
    Last edited by Bennett Ostroff; 05-16-2017 at 12:01 AM.

Blog Entries
    Ash can have a strong yellow component that will cause blue-based colorants to turn a bit green. This is with Olympic 'Early American' toned up with some Transtint 'Brown Mahogany' dye:

"A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Very nice Glenn and Bennett. Two more good choices.