Thread: Rust Hunt Horrors..

Rust Hunt Horrors..

Not all shiny things are nice....

The two "Extra " braces I picked Saturday....one was marked "JAPAN". It's Barber chuck seems to be in decent shape. $2

But,,, the shiny one?
    DSCF0006.JPG
    Plastic handles...This might be a few years old..
    DSCF0007.JPG
    "Jobsmart"? Handles were fine, seemed to work freely...
    DSCF0008.JPG
    THIS is where the troubles began....Looks like a Holdall chuck?
    DSCF0010.JPG
    More like a "Holdnone chuck" Four "jaws those little things riveted to the ends of the spring steel. Three even match each other, the fourth wasn't close.
    DSCF0013.JPG
    Right here was the worst of the troubles. Casting wasn't even finish ground, the shaft going into the gearbox was cast crooked. Stem for the bolt was too long. The chuck will wobble, the selector does too.
    Might be a. $2? Meh. For these two braces was $4...the late model Millers Falls 10" that came in the tool box was about a freebie
    brace.JPG
    Since all those bits under it are Russel Jennings bits, fine and coarse lead screw.

Think the will be in the trash can, jury is still out on the Japan 8" sweep.

Don't get blinded by the shiny tools on Rust Hunts.....they will get you every time
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 05-15-2017 at 1:32 PM.

Blog Entries
    Think the will be in the trash can, jury is still out on the Japan 8" sweep.
    Chuck up a beat up bit, drill it into a wall and use it as a hat rack.

Saw off the chuck and pad to use it for a tool box handle.

If the metal ain't too bad send it to recycling.

jtk
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 05-15-2017 at 1:33 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Wasted enough effort on it...threw it in the trash. Will try to clean up the other one......and save it as a "Loaner".

Saw a Stanley Handyman brace over the weekend with plastic furniture and took a pass on it I have better ones that get used often.

So, you're saying this was actually a "Jobstupid" brace?

Yep...as in Cheap-cheap...

Well, you have so many hits. Has to be an occasional miss in there somewhere.

The Law of Averages....

Hi Steven,

I think you are right on the law of averages. I have had the same thing exactly, happen. I'll bet all of who buy vintage tools have gotten burned once in a while.

Like was mentioned above, you have had so many good hits that every now and then you have to expect to strike out once in a while, when you step up to the plate. My batting average is quite a bit worse than yours on old planes.

Stew

Blog Entries
    I'll bet all of who buy vintage tools have gotten burned once in a while.
    That's a good bet. Sometimes the best you can do is get some parts or a way to repurpose a pile of junk.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Of the two junker saws I also picked this past weekend....one supplied the correct brass hardware for an older No. 7 I had. One of the plates was trashed, the other was decent enough to re-use. Saved the hardware from one saw, the plate and handle that were good. $2 for the saws, saved me from paying that auction site for brass hardware for saws. Even got a user saw out of the deal...