Thread: Mobilizing Assembly Tables:

Mobilizing Assembly Tables:

Hi all,

I'm looking for a simple solution to mobilize a few assembly tables in my shop. The table base dimensions are all 58" x 40". I will want to be able to lock them in place and also level them out at times. Have any of you done something similar? I'm looking for any advice/possible issues to consider. These tables are mainly used for woodworking assembly, but occasionally I use them for forming molds and spraying concrete, so the option to easily level them out would be a bonus. Based on what I've been reading, building smaller sub-bases and using some HTC heavy duty mobile bases might be the way to go?

Thanks.

I would look for leveling casters. It will give you the mobility and leveling you desire. I bought a set at Woodcraft, but forget the name.

Buy a mini pallet jack instead of having to purchase dozens of wheels. Design the base so you can run the pallet jack underneath when you want to move any table or machines for that matter and use simple threaded jack at each corner for adjusting the level. I can move 800 pond machines with very little effort, work benches are a snap to move around.

I use heavy duty locking casters.

For levelling I would be looking at some type of screw type mechanism I could run with a drill. Maybe something like a 1" long bolt. Weld a nut to a plate and install on bottom of leg?

I use heavy duty locking casters. The entire top of the table floats on the base with a 3.5 inch skirt to keep it in place. I have mounted adjustable feet under the top that can be adjusted with an allen wrench thru a small hole in the top. This way I can easily move it, but when I lock it in place I can adjust it without having to get down on the floor. That's way easier to do since I am always making it match the table behind my table saw and I use a level across the table tops to get things right.