Thread: poplar platter

poplar platter

I'm making some Gary Lowe type iridescent painted platters. I'm using poplar and since I need to get a real smooth finish I was wondering if I needed some sort of pore filler as well as a sanding sealer?

Thanks,
    Jim

Does your poplar have prominent pores? It usually doesn't. Sanding sealer ought to take care of it.

I recently discovered (always the last to know) that 2 coats of dewaxed shellac will really make paint lay down wonderfully on wood. YMMV.
    Fred

I have been doing a lot of poplar pieces lately. On some I used dewaxed shellac, followed by wipe-on Poly, and was taking forever to get a smooth (non-shaggy) finish. The last several pieces I have sanded through 400 and burnished lightly with a paper towel at high speed, before the dewaxed shellac, and then even higher grits after 2 coats. It has provided a wonderful surface for the wipe-on poly. I would love to hear more about Gary Lowe's techniques.

Here is a close-up of the grain after sanding to 400, 1 coat of dewaxed shellac, sanded again at 400 and rubbed with cotton at higher speed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brian Kent; 05-15-2017 at 7:38 PM.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Thick bodied sanding sealer is the product of choice to fill pores in wood--especially large ring pored wood like oak. Brush on the first coat straight out of the can(not big store SS), sand and apply a thinner coat if necessary. The secret to using SS is sanding--hence the name. Get your piece perfectly flat before applying your finish. This is the easy way.

What type of sanding sealer do you recommend? Is there a brand name, or is there a homemade formula.
    Always looking to improve the finish.

I and many others use Zinnser Bull's Eye Universal Sanding Sealer: 100% Wax Free Formula. That looks like a title that implies several companies buying other companies over the years. Briefly, it is "De-waxed Shellac".
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    I have been doing a lot of poplar pieces lately. On some I used dewaxed shellac, followed by wipe-on Poly, and was taking forever to get a smooth (non-shaggy) finish. The last several pieces I have sanded through 400 and burnished lightly with a paper towel at high speed, before the dewaxed shellac, and then even higher grits after 2 coats. It has provided a wonderful surface for the wipe-on poly. I would love to hear more about Gary Lowe's techniques.

Here is a close-up of the grain after sanding to 400, 1 coat of dewaxed shellac, sanded again at 400 and rubbed with cotton at higher speed.
    Steve Bonny has a post on this forum entitled "irrisedescent paint techniques" that has a couple of links to videos by Gary Lowe.

Jim