Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lesson Learned: Ordering Glass

Few years back I built an entrance door with side lights. They were marked as tempered.

Additionally, the door builder that mentored me (over the internet) also said to make sure you have them put in writing to return your glass template. Maybe this isn't needed for straight geometry glass but my side lights had curved tops..

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by John C Bush View Post
    Did the etching say Chihuly?
    Well played.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I would not want that on my ordered glass...agree
    Jerry

I much prefer to have the logo etched in. There is no question as to the safety properties of the glass

Blog Entries
    They did it again!

This is frustrating and embarrassing. Except this time, it was on the bigger piece ($140).

I've been waiting on the bigger piece in order to make some cuts on the top. I'm going to pick up the piece, use it for making sure I make the correct cuts, then give it back I guess.

BAH!

Blog Entries
    Nevermind, they were mistaken. The glass never got ordered. So they are knocking it down from $140 to $100.

The real problem is that I'm ordering from vendor A and they are ordering my glass from vendor B. Communication is not great...

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    Nevermind, they were mistaken. The glass never got ordered. So they are knocking it down from $140 to $100.

The real problem is that I'm ordering from vendor A and they are ordering my glass from vendor B. Communication is not great...
    Then why don't you just order from vendor B and save yourself the markup?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    I would guess no glass shop has the ability to temper glass. They ordered it from some where. Unless specified, the standard operating procedure is to sandblast a logo in the corner prior to going into the furnace.
    Absolutely. By default most tempered glass is suppose to be marked as such (ever look in the corner of your doors and windows?). You can opt to not have the mark, but as Mel stated, your in for the liability if you bail on the mark.

We have built several large interior glass units, and they MUST be marked as tempered. Sure one can guess a coffee table for their own use wouldnt need marking but the company by default likely marks. Our glass supplier makes you opt-in for the mark which is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Maybe the guy that cut the glass was proud of his work and signed it.Everone like to sign their work these days to promote them self personally or business.
    Actually, as far as I know, you can't cut tempered glass. It's cut as regular plate glass. The edges are dressed/seamed, then it goes into furnace where it is heated almost to the point it starts to melt. Then it rolls into a quench, which blows a zillion cfm of air across it to rapidly cool it. That's what tempers the glass. The quench I saw had a pair of 200hp fans.

Blog Entries
    I'm going to next time. I learned who it is they go to. I figured that their vendor was a large quantity type vendor. But it's just a small business

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    ..your in for the liability if you bail on the mark...
    Just because I'm curious, what do you perceive the liability to be on a piece of glass that is tempered but not marked as such?

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    Just because I'm curious, what do you perceive the liability to be on a piece of glass that is tempered but not marked as such?
    The liability of having to replace the glass with one that bares the mark of tempering to prove it is tempered.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    Just like many states require a fire door to have a tagged 1.5 hour rating, its often the case that any fenestration glass or glass incorporated into permanent furniture, especially glass within a certain distance of the floor, in a railing assembly, etc. be marked. Like I said, a project for your own use its wise to ask if your supplier etch marks by default. Many do. As Martin said, I wasnt speaking to a liability of harm (the glass is tempered) but it wouldnt be out of the question that you could wind up having to swap some glass if it wasnt marked and needed to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Actually, as far as I know, you can't cut tempered glass. It's cut as regular plate glass. The edges are dressed/seamed, then it goes into furnace where it is heated almost to the point it starts to melt. Then it rolls into a quench, which blows a zillion cfm of air across it to rapidly cool it. That's what tempers the glass. The quench I saw had a pair of 200hp fans.
    Dead on. When the glass is tempered the outer skin of the glass is put under tremendous tension. Like blowing up a balloon. The air inside the baloon is the normal plate glass, and the balloon is the the outer skin under tension. You poke the skin and the whole thing comes apart. Of course the outer skin is bound to the core of the glass so it shatters in a million pieces.

Oddly I know several glass blasters/carvers that commonly sandblast etch pretty deep into tempered panels. 20% or better and they swear they have never had an issue. Ive always wondered if its because the etch is a radius and no a point load.

I remember being a teenager and my mom was a stained glass artist and I brought a piece of glass home and wanted to cut it into shelves. She had no idea it was tempered. We scored it, slid a 2x4 under at the score, and tried and tried to get the glass to snap. No go, So we stood on either end bouncing up and down and POW, like a cannon shot, there was millions of 1/8" glass cubes on the studio floor lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Just like many states require a fire door to have a tagged 1.5 hour rating, its often the case that any fenestration glass or glass incorporated into permanent furniture, especially glass within a certain distance of the floor, in a railing assembly, etc. be marked. Like I said, a project for your own use its wise to ask if your supplier etch marks by default. Many do. As Martin said, I wasnt speaking to a liability of harm (the glass is tempered) but it wouldnt be out of the question that you could wind up having to swap some glass if it wasnt marked and needed to be.
    I hadn't thought of it that way, thanks.