Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lesson Learned: Ordering Glass

Blog Entries

Lesson Learned: Ordering Glass

I ordered some tempered .25" thick glass for a coffee table. The coffee table design has a small shelf and a large top.

The glass shop etched in their logo on the small piece. Apparently, since the glass was small the company assumed it was for a window and intentionally etched their logo on the glass.

Not a huge deal, they'll re-cut the glass for free.

Anyway, be sure to spec out 'no logo' or something similar to avoid this problem.

Cheers,

I wouldn't let them put their logo on it regardless, they're not paying me to advertise their business, why would they think they get free advertising on something I paid for without my express permission?

I have never had a glass shop do this and I have dealt with three different local glass shops in the last 5 yrs and none have done this.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I've never run into that either. If they did do that I'd refuse the glass.

Reminds me of when car dealerships used to attach a dealership "name/logo" on the back of the car. The problem was that they would drill two holes in the car to attach the chrome like logo. A woman friend went to pick up the car she had just bought and found that on her car. She refused to take the car until they had removed the logo, filled the holes and painted the area. She told me, "I'm not going to be a free rolling advertisement for those people."

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

We just bought a large tempered glass top for an end table, no logo nor did they even ask. Never heard of that.

Blog Entries
    Is there a requirement to ID tempered safety glass for a window? Just asking. I see that a lot in commercial work.
    NOW you tell me...

I know you have to be able to produce proof (invoices and such) that tempered was used where required. So when asked to do so we ordered glass without the stamp. I've seen sash that had a stamp on every pane
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 05-15-2017 at 6:59 PM.

Maybe the guy that cut the glass was proud of his work and signed it.Everone like to sign their work these days to promote them self personally or business.
    Aj

I never heard of a glass shop doing that but thanks for the heads up.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

In California door glass and the adjacent window's have to be tempered and marked as such or you wont pass the inspection, art glass is a different story.
    Rick

I can understand not wanting the stamp ,but failing to be in compliance and getting caught is a big deal. And gives a lot more credibility and sympathy to anyone sustaining an injury. Been some real big payouts.

Did the etching say Chihuly?

Quote Originally Posted by John C Bush View Post
    Did the etching say Chihuly?
    Only a true NorthWesterner would think of this. Well done.

John, have you been to the Chihuly Garden at Seattle Center? I would love to have witnessed the interactions between Dale and the Landscape Architect.

I would guess no glass shop has the ability to temper glass. They ordered it from some where. Unless specified, the standard operating procedure is to sandblast a logo in the corner prior to going into the furnace.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill McNiel View Post
    Only a true NorthWesterner would think of this. Well done.

John, have you been to the Chihuly Garden at Seattle Center? I would love to have witnessed the interactions between Dale and the Landscape Architect.
    We have seen his travelling display in Grand Rapids MI, and the permanent displays in Seattle and St. Petersburg. Amazing talent in his shop. If you get a chance, his DVD is worth viewing.
    NOW you tell me...