Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dust collection Piping

Dust collection Piping

So I have read all the threads throughout the site about using 30 gauge pipe for dust collection. Most are older and full of "advice" from people whom either do not use or never had ill effects first hand with 30 gauge ducting.

Can people who have it in their shop or who have used it and it failed please chime in. I will be running a system that in total will have around 100 feet of pipe and I am thinking of using 6" 30 gauge pipe. The dust collector will be a Shopfox w1687, 3hp, 2800 cfm, with a 55 gallon drum separator.

Anyone have a similar system? Is there any reason to worry about the piping collapsing if the blast gates are closed?

I used 26ga for years with a 5hp, no issues.

I am a retired sheet metal worker and I think 30 gage duct will collapse. 26 gage will not. I have a 26 gage 6" system in my shop and no problems. You could get by with 30 gage ells though.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

I have tried 30 gauge elbows, problem is they will come apart at the seam where they adjust. Cheapest store in my location for 26 gauge fittings is Ace Hardware.

I do not have first-hand experience with 30 gauge, but I suspect that 30 gauge will collapse under a 3 hp machine. But why don't you buy one 30 gauge pipe from the big box store (would cost you less than $10), hook it up to a machine close to the dust collector, and test it? See what happens.

I just recently plumbed S&D pvc to my 1.5hp Shop Fox. I found the pvc more readily available in all fittings from the local box stores. It was also very easy to work with.

+1 on Steve's comments about S & D - much easier and you get a smoother and slightly larger internal bore

Blog Entries
    A few years ago there was a post with a pic of a fully collapsed 30 gauge duct. Go with 26 gauge.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Giddings View Post
    +1 on Steve's comments about S & D - much easier and you get a smoother and slightly larger internal bore
    I know this doesn't answer the question, but I would reconsider using metal duct, too, for all the reasons mentioned.

I bought all of my duct work at home depot fro my system and can close all of my blast gates without fear of collapse. I ran the duct work thru wooden rings to support it and prevent that from happening.
    numbers.jpgmore numbers.jpg5-30-09 001.jpg5-26-09 004.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Alan,

That is a great looking installation. Very clean sealed connections. I have heard of the wooden rings used to alleviate collapse but yours is the first image I have seen it implemented. It looks like a nice pipe/support mounting bracket in one, since you need mounting brackets anyway. I would guess the only areas that need pipe reinforcement are the longer runs going up the ceiling and down to your table saw. All the other straight sections are shorter with fittings to reinforce the pipe. I read about someone trying force a collapse in 3 or 4 sections of straight pipe without reinforcement and if I recall he was able to make the pipe change to oval shape with all gates closed but the pipe returned back to round when opened. He did force a collapse when he slammed a gate closed. He then tried the wooden rings and as you know, there were no issues.

Just an FYI for anyone who is looking for un-crimped whyes, this supplier has them for less than $13 (I have not used them, just passing on a source).
    http://www.simplyplumbing.com/hvac/v...-flue-wye.html

Thanks again for your post Alan. It is good to know you don't have to spend a lot for a good system.

Carl
    Last edited by Carl Kona; 05-19-2017 at 2:28 PM. Reason: Forgot link

Carl, I happen to be looking for Wyes right now. What supplier are you referencing? (I'm on my phone and don't see a reference)

Sorry Marc, the link would help........
    http://www.simplyplumbing.com/hvac/v...-flue-wye.html

Carl

Blog Entries
    In answer to the OP's initial post, please see post #43 on this 9 year old thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...oject%21/page3 :

NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bienlein View Post
    I bought all of my duct work at home depot fro my system and can close all of my blast gates without fear of collapse. I ran the duct work thru wooden rings to support it and prevent that from happening.
    numbers.jpgmore numbers.jpg5-30-09 001.jpg5-26-09 004.jpg

I like this option a lot. I will very likely do this. Not only will this stop any chance of collapse but it also gives me plenty areas to attach the pipe to the ceiling.

The reason I am not using pvc because I have heard that the fire marshalls can take issue with it. I bought a commercial building in my town which is very small and the building is in he downtown historical area. They are very lax on businesses so I doubt I would get inspected I figure it's better safe than sorry. I will likely go with the 28/30 gauge unless I find a local supplier with 26g in 5 ft sections.

David,

Thanks for the feedback and please keep us posted on your project. It appears a simple ring/mounting bracket will avoid any collapse issues!

Look forward to another update.

Carl