Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Impact driver for lug nuts?

Impact driver for lug nuts?

I have one of these:
    https://www.makitatools.com/Products/details/XDT13Z

Since it's rated for 125 ftlbs, and the lug nuts on my cars are torqued to 100 ftlbs, is there some reason I can't use it (with a socket adapter) to remove lug nuts?

Or: is there some reason I should buy an impact wrench (like this guy: https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/XWT11Z)?

Worth a try, Dan - depends on who tightened the lug nuts I think. In theory it should work and the socket adaptor is cheaper than buying another power tool

Never owned and impact wrench. Used to rotate my tires by hand between changes. Never had a problem.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

I have used mine to install my removable 5th wheel hitch many times, using 1/2" bolts. Try it, and see.

My concerns would be the size and weight of the hammers inside, and the quarter inch drive snapping off. Notice the impact wrench has a half inch drive, and probably a lot of other heavier stuff inside.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

The lug nut isn't going to know.
    I use my Makita, a smaller version than that model, on the cars, it seems to work. I also have air impacts. I torque the lug nuts by hand though, not matter how I put them on
    I would be a little skeptical of the 125 ft/lbs. That a significant amount of torque.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Impact wrench

I've used my impact drivers (hitachi and dewalt models) for many tasks around the farm remote from power - nuts, lag screws, etc. These little drivers might handle lug nuts unless they were tightened too much, which unfortunately happens all too often.

For me, the decision to buy a heavier-duty tool would depend amount of use I anticipate. Although a driver intended for deck screws might loosen lug nuts, my concern would be the long term stress and wear put on it. In my experience, it probably would also be slow to use.

For vehicle maintenance, I would choose an impact wrench made for heavy use. I personally avoid battery operated tools that are used only occasionally (unless they use the same batteries as frequently used tools.) I hate dealing with and replacing expensive batteries. Unless the planned use was far from power I'd choose a corded tool - put it on the shelf for 10 years and it will still work when you need it!

With a good source of compressed air there is nothing like a quality pneumatic wrench. I have a big compressor in my shop so I use a Dewalt which sees a lot of use on farm equipment and the bobcat. (Even it struggles with an occasional difficult or rusted nut.)

BTW, it is easy to over-tighten a lug nut with a powerful impact wrench. I always tighten lug nuts and other critical bolts/nuts to spec with a hand-powered torque wrench. (It is a good idea to clean and lubricate the threads first.)

JKJ

I use mine for lug nuts. It can't get them off from totally tight, but sure speeds up the process of unthreading and threading on.

I have the equivalent Ryobi One+ driver and IMO it is not suitable for even occasional use on lugs - in either direction (except maybe to 'run' them in/out). They don't even advertise the torque spec for the newer versions.

As Rick pointed out, if I was using it on a daily/weekly basis for lugs, I'd worry about the 1/4" hex chuck.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 05-16-2017 at 8:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I use mine for lug nuts. It can't get them off from totally tight, but sure speeds up the process of unthreading and threading on.
    The breakaway torque will be much higher than the 100lt/lbs that they were torqued to, best to buy a more powerful impact.

Ed

This is one of my pet peeves. The auto shops seem to want the lug nuts tight tight so they use the pneumatic sockets for a long time. Then if you have a flat in the middle of nowhere, you cannot get the lug nuts loosened with the lug wrench that comes with the car. This can ruin your day.

Gave it a try: the impact driver (rated for 125 ftlbs) with a socket adapter took the lug nuts off with zero problem. Actually "hammered" for less time than my pneumatic impact wrench usually does.

I always rotate my own tires (for the reason Thomas mentions: I don't trust the shops to torque them, properly), so I know they are never torqued above 100 ftlbs (I use a torque wrench to put them back on). Using this impact driver will be FAR more convenient than dragging an air hose around! And while the cordless impact wrench obviously has much more torque, I don't think I need it for what I do.

I am just beyond impressed with these brushless LXT-series tools. The impact driver is comically powerful for its size. I also bought a string trimmer, blower, and lawnmower that use the same batteries, and they are just beyond amazing. Powerful, quiet, and the cordless-ness is just obnoxiously convenient.

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    It would be good practice not to hold the socket with your bare hand in case it breaks, it will hurt a lot for a long time!!!

Lug Nuts properly torqued to 100 ft lb will come off with the one you have. Overtightened or ones with substantial corrosion might not. The bigger brushless unit in your link would be preferable if you are using it regularly. I have three of the 1/2" brushless in daily use in a heavy construction maintenance yard. Yes, they are amazing. And they have two larger, heavier duty ones

Lug nuts get taken OFF with an impact and snugged on with an impact, then tightened with a torque wrench.

My son is a Mazda tech and all of his pneumatic tools are basically redundant except for occasional heavy duty fastener but when I was fixing cars it was the only thing we had.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Pratt View Post
    This is one of my pet peeves. The auto shops seem to want the lug nuts tight tight so they use the pneumatic sockets for a long time. Then if you have a flat in the middle of nowhere, you cannot get the lug nuts loosened with the lug wrench that comes with the car. This can ruin your day.
    Any auto shop worth their salt will properly torque lug nuts. They might run them up with a torque stick on a rattle gun, then final torque with a torque wrench. I run mine up with my 1/2" I/R gun on it lowest setting, then use my digital torque wrench to finish the job. Even a few hits on the same setting you use to remove them will over torque them in general.
    NOW you tell me...