Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Turning Bollards

Cool set-up Ron. Thanks for sharing it.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Ron. This has been a very interesting thread. Thanks. Your work is fantastic and love the dog and truck.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

on nice days I move it out front

and the 4 foot steady rest that I made

ron

this was the aftermath ofr turning 30 of these bollards. all those nice fir shavings i keep and they go to mlocal fellow for his horses

I pick all those pieces of wood off the beach one night. Ladty came along one day and I sold them all for $350.00
    ron
    Last edited by ron david; 05-16-2017 at 8:54 PM.

Nice work... I see in the picture with the lathe outside the piece that's chucked up has a split down the side.

Is the wood dry? If so, how? I was under the impression material that thick couldn't be kiln dried.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Rasmussen View Post
    Nice work... I see in the picture with the lathe outside the piece that's chucked up has a split down the side.

Is the wood dry? If so, how? I was under the impression material that thick couldn't be kiln dried.
    they have been perhaps a monthe from the mill. no kiln. who kows how long the logs sat around. it does not take long for them to start cracking once the are exposed to the air at that dimension
    remember that it all starts drying from the outside and the inside is still wet. something has to give
    ron

Really nice work. The finished project in place looks very picturesque. And your pups are awesome! My shiba is too high strung for shop life. I need a bigger dog that wants to lay around and watch me.
    USMC '97-'01

Nice looking and some cool pics. Thanks for sharing.

Red
    RED

Ron, How do you stop (prevent) the cracking?

Interesting thread, thanks. We put up a fence in our cemetery and the people we got it from did the same thing for the posts. We borrowed his gas powered post driver to drive the metal posts, then just slid the wood posts over. It greatly reduces wood rot and it's easy to string trim underneath. The owner of the fencing company designed a similar machine to bore out the posts. Love your shop and truck. Of course your dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn C Roberts View Post
    you don't worry about what you cannot control. these posts all had heart. they are destined to crack
    ron

Very interesting and enjoyable post Ron, thanks for putting it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn C Roberts View Post
    this following link will be a good one to read. it may help with that feeling that everything should be perfect. most will ignore it
    it was written by Soetsu Yanagi and called the "Mystery of Beauty"
    https://plus.google.com/102714252072...ts/C6PpWpGv3ZX
    it applies to a lot of things in life
    click on the image to enlargen it
    ron
    Last edited by ron david; 05-18-2017 at 4:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ron david View Post
    this following link will be a good one to read. it may help with that feeling that everything should be perfect. most will ignore it
    it was written by Soetsu Yanagi and called the "Mystery of Beauty"
    https://plus.google.com/102714252072...ts/C6PpWpGv3ZX
    it applies to a lot of things in life
    I liked the line about beauty "free from all pretension."

Last year I spent a week with Clay Foster, exactly what the ADHD type-A like me needed. His attitude about life and art is zen-like, quiet, contemplative, never rushed, what is, is - inspiring. One small example: every day he asked everyone in the class to gather around and he read a passage selected from Rachel Remen's book "My Grandfather's Blessings."

JKJ

Ron, interesting read. However, in my case, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. As Reed says "The more it warps, the better I like it". So like the Korean (and Reed), I like to turn green wood occasionally to achieve this "Free from dualistic fetters" creation of the piece of wood - free from cracking if I so desire - simply because I am not selling it! I am the only judge in this case!