Thread: Sargent 409 type 2 flea market find

Sargent 409 type 2 flea market find

I found a rusty pair of number 4 ish planes sitting in a small pool of water at a flea market for $10. One is a number 4 1/2 craftsman in reasonable shape, far from perfect. I was looking for users.... The other was an old plane which I could not find any markings on but in rough shape. The knob is replaced with a piece of dowel. I rescued these from a puddle of water on a table.

The plane with no markings when degrunged a bit turned out to be a Sargent 409 type 2 with a corrugated sole. A collectors plane. My internet research dates it from 1891 to 1909. The corrugated sole has me thrown for a loop. They may have been only been made after 1907 and have a much lower value. But a 409 type 2 has been valued from $300 to $600 while corrugated are valued much much lower. I suspect my information is incomplete or inaccurate.

the info I need is the dimensions of the knob. Height, diameter of the bulb, diameter of the base, diameter of the neck and height of the straight part above the base.

no images yet... Some of the parts are still in the electrolysis hot tub.

am I rambling?

clint

Hi Clint, I also picked up a Sargent 409 but it has a blade marked Hercules which was their thrift model here is the link.
    Rick

https://timetestedtools.wordpress.co...with-pictures/

This is an image of the plane reassembled and tuned up. It cuts very well. Note the non stock knob!

image.jpg

This is an image of the cleaned up parts. Arranged in order of reassembly from right to left.

image.jpg

I really want a new knob!

Clint

That's terrible! They should at least have used an old wooden sewing thread spool!

It's pretty bad when an old wooden spool is an UPGRADE to your knob! I still think it's worth $5 tho. I really want a real knob..... The rest of the plane seems to be all original.

clint

What you have is a #5409 Sargent. http://www.timetestedtools.net/2016/...e-5400-series/
    Don
    TimeTestedTools

Yes! It is all is coming together now. 5409 based on a type 2 for sure.

thanks for sharing your knowledge. Very much appreciated.

Clint

I figure you got the value from Heckel's guide. The 5400 series is neither rare or nearly as valuable as he states. I personally have never seen them sell for any more than the early (type 4 and 5) Stanley of equivalent size and condition.
    Don
    TimeTestedTools

Hi Don,
    Great website thanks for all the good information. In SoCal plane pickings are pretty thin and I buy just about everything I see, most everything is between 5-10$ like the Hercules 5$ found last weekend it was real dirty but no rust some times I just pay my money and take my chances.
    Rick