Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Build or Buy a Workshop? 20x30 I hope

Build or Buy a Workshop? 20x30 I hope

The GF and I are looking to sell and move into a larger house. Currently my 2 car garage is package, no more room to move around safely and all tools are on wheels.

Anything I buy needs a decent lot so I can build a workshop. I think a 20x30 is good. I can keep my reloading in the regular garage and use this as just my workshop.

Would it be cheaper to build or to buy a steel frame and insulate it myself? I've seen some steel 20x30x10 kits for $5,500. Building it with my dad would be fun and I do have the summers off. Doesn't have to be anything insane.

Where in the world do you live? will it need heating or cooling in your climate? How about snow/wind loads. will you have to get permits and inspections.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Where in the world do you live? will it need heating or cooling in your climate? How about snow/wind loads. will you have to get permits and inspections.
    Bill
    My bad. Live in Northern Cali bay area. Wind not a problem. Figure insulating myself with spray foam would work. The heat would be more a concern than the cold.

No HOA in the housing area and yard has no rear neighbors. Plan is to just build it since it will be my 30 year raise a family house.

I had Tuff Shed build me a workshop/garage a few years back. It was cheaper than a "stick built" building of the same size. The foundation, electrical, insulation and drywall were done by a contractor. The building really fits my needs and matches our house very well. The biggest problem that I ran into was the building permit process. That took several months. I was also forced to add fire sprinklers to the building and non-flamiable siding by the local fire department which added considerably to the cost. The building had to pass their inspection as well as the building department's inspection before I could move anything into it.

Before you do anything may I suggest that you find out what the requirements are in your area for outbuildings. Especially here in California they may be considerable and. strange. i.e. in some areas you can only have a certain maximum percentage of roof square footage on your lot, buildings like the metal one you are looking at may not be allowed, etc. You also need to understand that unless you bought the home within the last two years that the value of the building will be added to your California property tax.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Just to put a bug in your ear....

Since you are in the market to buy anyway....

Look for a house that's already got a building/big shed/workshop out back... Often - they don't add any price to the selling price of the house unless they are completely finished.

For example.... When I bought my current house.... It had a little "guest house" out back that I have claimed for my workshop... I think I estimated it adding on $40/sq-ft x the 400 sq-ft size.... That's a bargain (and one heck of a workshop...)... There's no way you will build 400 sq-ft, 2 rooms + half bath, AC/heat, celing fans/lights, fully insulated, full electrical system, built in shelving, and hot water in the bathroom for $16,000... The only things missing are a shower/tub and efficiency kitchen.. .

So it could be a true Dog House if needed right? Dan

Btw your dad surely does not want to build that and neither of you need to be up on that roof. $5500 is just materials for shed. Site prep, floor, ceiling, electric, lights, walls, and the insulation itself. Also you might want to practice spaying before hand before committing to self insulating with spray. And again, your dad does not want to spray either. He is tired and has had enough work to do without you filling his schedule. You two can have real fun watching some amish or contractors or Morton build it.

I would add a skylight that opens for venting. Is the site flat enough for a slab? If all else fails call it a solar panel support structure and they will probably approve it.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Irish View Post
    Doesn't have to be anything insane.
    I'm afraid it probably does since you are in CA. It might not be too crazy if you are not in any city and it doesn't have to be connected to sewer system. I would check permit cost and building requirements very carefully.

If a 2-car garage is currently packed with your shop, something tells me (experience, maybe) that 20x30 may not be enough space in the long run depending on how much you hope to use it, the kinds things you plan to make. Having enough space to keep major tools stationary is a huge help, even for things like wiring and dust collection. If building from scratch, I highly recommend doing a layout and plan the space before you settle on the size.

Build it yourself or buy something already made? How much time to you have, how big of a hurry, what kind of budget, and how picky are you? I built my shop almost single-handed and it took a couple of years. But I got exactly what I wanted instead of making big compromises. I have room for turning, flat wood, welding, electronics, machining, farm maintenance, and wood storage. Before I started on the concrete slab I had planned the space, wiring, lighting, dust collection, doors, everything. I dislike unpleasant surprises.

JKJ

Have to agree with you, John. My shop was an existing building 26 x66, and if I were to start over, would go with 40 x 60. Every time I buy something, need more room.

I agree with John J. 20x30 is likely too small. Making it bigger in the beginning isn't that much more.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    Have to agree with you, John. My shop was an existing building 26 x66, and if I were to start over, would go with 40 x 60. Every time I buy something, need more room.
    I built mine 24x62. An extra 6-12' wide would be put to good use. The woodshop area is fine but I'm now designing the addition for a bath/shower and small kitchen, planned earlier but not built.

As mentioned, the incremental cost of making it larger is really not that much compared to the total cost - a 24' truss, for example, is not much more than a 20' truss.

JKJ

Agree with Greg Bradley's post #9. Before buying an property, check with the local building department about if and what you can build. Even though there are no Home Owners' Asso. prohibitions, the county or local municipality may have building/zoning restrictions.
    Last edited by Ray Newman; 05-18-2017 at 8:12 PM.

I just found out they sell modular two story barns. Interesting idea. look about 1/3 down the page to see how they are installed. No idea if this company is good or prices either.
    Bill

https://www.horizonstructures.com/ho...lar-horse-barn