Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scotch Cabinet on a Stand

Scotch Cabinet on a Stand

After reading a few of James Krenov's books, I had to try making a cabinet on a stand. By far, this is the most complicated piece I have made. The project had a lot of firsts for me - dovetailed drawers, veneer, hand made pulls, and knife hinges to name a few. I learned a lot making it. There are some mistakes, but again I learned from them.

The case and stand are solid african mahogany, the pulls are walnut, the interior drawer fronts are curly maple. The doors and back panels are ambrosia maple veneer. I started with rough cut lumber.

cabinet1.jpg

cabinet1a.jpg

cabinet3.jpg

cabinet7.jpg

cabinet8.jpg

cabinet10.jpg

cabinet12.jpg

This is my first serious (for me) piece of wood working, so comments are welcome.

- d
    Last edited by Darren Almeida; 05-16-2017 at 7:17 PM.

wow! that's a beauty
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

I think would be oh so much nicer if it were a bourbon cabinet! That would make it perfect!! (Btw, REALLY Nice wood working)

Lots of firsts? Nailed them. Well done.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Excellent craftsmanship!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very nice, Darren. Love the wood choices. +1 on the excellent craftsmanship!

Superb work. A beautiful cabinet.
    Chuck Taylor

Blog Entries
    Beautiful. I really like the pulls, both styles.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thank you for all the comments. I appreciate the positive feedback.

I don't work very fast and I spent over 200 hours on this piece. I spent a lot of time doing mock-ups of different parts in pine before I worked on the expensive wood. I'm happy with the end result and I'm glad I took the time to do some trials.

Rich - maybe I will sneak one bottle of Basil Hayden in there.

Glenn - the curved pulls on the doors and the stand drawer is a design I came up with. The design of the inset pulls on the interior drawers came from FWW June 2016 - No 254. I modified the design slightly by raising the center of the pull and curving it down to the ends

To make the curved pulls I used a round nose router bit for the inside curve and then used a plane to shape the outside curve:

krenov4-sm.jpg

They attach with a mortise and tenon joint.

krenov6-sm.jpg

The Stanley 4 1/2 getting more of a workout:

krenov8-sm.jpg

Enjoying a fine single malt during the build process:
    krenov7-sm.jpg

Now I just need to fill the cabinet up.

Nice job, Darren. Now... let's see you do one of your own design, using what you learned from this one! I'll just bet that you'll nail it, too!!
    Marty Schlosser
    Kingston, ON, Canada
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/apexwoodworks/
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ApexWoodworksFurniture/
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkmbvXb44CJ9t17SbHEWxJg/videos

Beautiful cabinet! How did you do the dovetails?

Best,
    C
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Christopher - Thanks. I tried cutting them by hand and after a few joints I realized that I need a lot more practice. So I used an old Craftsman jig that was my father's. It was very temperamental and I made several mistakes with it. I lucked out with the drawer in the stand and the dovetails lined up perfectly with the top and bottom edges of the drawer. On the interior drawers, the dovetails were cut in half at the tops of the drawers. I don't like how they look, so I picked up a used Leigh Superjig 18 that I will use in the future. The Leigh jig lets you vary the spacing of the pins so they are fit the drawer properly.

I'd like to keep practicing hand cut dovetails, but my time in the shop is very limited. The only benefit of all my mistakes was that I heat my house with them.

Great job! I bought my first set of knife hinges to build a small display cabinet. Were they difficult to get installed correctly?

Fantastic work. Love the pulls.

Anthony - Thank you. I was apprehensive about the knife hinges. I made a mock up of the cabinet in pine so I could get the layout and dimensions right. The top and bottom of the cabinet and the top of the stand all have a matching curve on the front edge. I wanted to make sure I got the placement of the cabinet sides relative to the doors correct before I messed around with the mahogany. I then used the pine mock up to do a practice installation of the knife hinges. It went surprisingly smoothly. Just line up the side of the door with the center of the pivot pin and everything falls into place. I will certainly use them again. I really like them.

Tom - thank you for the compliment.