Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Self-driving cars--seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    I just have to ask.

If your self driving car is capable of going from point "A" to point "B" and back automatically could you send your truck to the store or a friends home and have it pickup materials or people? Possibly take your son to the baseball game and bring him back home.
    I would think that will come. The first real application everyone is clamoring for is ride-sharing vehicles. There's really no difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    Physicians where I work dictate thousands of medical records through voice recognition every day. Accuracy is very good. I use it to write emails, and get way better results than with typing on thus damned iPad.

Watch this video on voice recognition for a good laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FFRoYhTJQQ

Let me put in an early order for the update kit for my non-smart cars. Here is my list....

1956 Ford Victoria

1955 Ford Thunderbird

1922 Ford Model T touring

Wake me up when the update kits arrive.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Because of medical problems I haven't driven in almost 15 years, I just sit other and watch the other drivers. Trust me, a broken down computer can drive as good or better than a lot of drivers on the road. If my wife goes shopping, I ride along, then because I cannot walk, I sit in the car and watch some of the drivers walking from the car to the stores. Some of them can't walk any better than they drive. In the last week I watched 2 people walk into the side of cars, because they had their phone stuck to their "nose". Those same idiots are also driving.

People watching has become an education in what the world has come to. Then there are the people that come out of the store and wonder around the parking lot looking for their car, those are usually good for a laugh or 2. Sometimes I am surprised they even know the way home, but they may not know.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin Hasenak View Post
    In the last week I watched 2 people walk into the side of cars, because they had their phone stuck to their "nose". Those same idiots are also driving.
    Sometimes I am surprised they even know the way home, but they may not know.
    That's what they have their GPS enabled phones for.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Garages and parking lots take up a LOT of room. What if you could just "summon" a car using a phone app, have it arrive, drive you to where you want to go, and then head off to pick up its next passenger? Suddenly, that car is maximally utilized, parking spaces are re-developed for more productive uses...
    IOW, we can finally stop using half or more of our woodshop space for car storage.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lomman View Post
    Does anyone really think that automation is introduced for the benefit of ordinary people? I haven't noticed many charitable organisations investing in these technologies. It is simply a new way to transfer money and power from the working and middle-class to the big end of town. These technologies will cost and we will all have to pay. Cheers
    ( be grateful I edited out the next 2 paragraphs. Does anyone actually value freedom?)
    We value the freedom from political rants that normally accrues to reading SMC, so yes.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    IOW, we can finally stop using half or more of our woodshop space for car storage.
    The car lives outside, I don't care how much it cost.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

So how often do these cars that we are all going to be sharing get cleaned?

It appears that it is politically correct to advocate self driving cars but is politically incorrect to criticize the same idea. This isn't a thread about technology. It is a thread about political policy. I thought that was prohibited.

I don't care about the politics, just think a self driving car will be better than me steering it. If you have the money, they have auto steer for farm tractors. Perfect spacing and straight rows.

Before I retired I drove approximately 80k miles a year going from plant to plant. I never had an accident, but in all seriousness, if I had $100 for every time I swerved into the shoulder/stood on the brake/etc. to avoid being side swiped by a truck (sometimes a car) who simply decided to come over into my lane while I was in it the quality of my scotch would increase significantly.

I was aware of this thread as I recently completed an approximately 2k round trip. On three separate occasions, at around 70 mph, a semi passed me on the left and then while I was still beside the truck proceeded to pull over forcing me onto the shoulder. Really? You passed me, did you forget I was here? Give me computer controlled cars and trucks ASAP.

I started this thread, time for me to update it:

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/03/19...ls-pedestrian/
    -An autonomous test vehicle being tested by Uber struck and killed a woman in Tempe, Arizona early Monday, marking what appears to be the first pedestrian killed by an autonomous vehicle, reports The New York Times.

The Uber vehicle in question was in an autonomous driving mode with a human safety driver at the wheel, and the woman who was struck was crossing the street outside of a crosswalk, according to local police. No other details on the accident are available at this time.

Uber is cooperating with Tempe police and has suspended all of its self-driving vehicle tests in Tempe, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, and Toronto at the current time. Uber's autonomous vehicles have previously been involved in collisions, as have vehicles from other companies like Tesla, but this is the first pedestrian-related accident that has resulted in a fatality.

This incident will likely have wide-ranging implications for all companies who are testing autonomous vehicles, including Apple, and it could potentially result in more oversight and regulation.

Apple has been testing its autonomous vehicles on public roads in California near its Cupertino headquarters since last year. Apple vehicles, which include a series of Lexus RX450h SUVs equipped with a host of sensors and cameras, have not been involved in any known accidents to date.

To date, most autonomous vehicles in California and Arizona have been using safety drivers behind the wheel who are meant to take over in the event of an emergency, but California in February lifted that rule.

Starting on April 2, companies in California that are testing self-driving vehicles will be able to deploy cars that do not have a driver behind the wheel. Arizona also allows driverless cars to be tested in the state, and Waymo has been testing autonomous driverless minivans in Arizona since November.
    Disclaimer: No amount of debate as to actual fault here will sway my opinion. Computers should not drive cars, period. Driverless tractors and other farm equipment, fine-- just keep them off public highways.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    Think this is coming along at the right time for someone my age. There are a LOT of old people on the road, and having the ability to put an address into the car for your destination, and the car taking you there will be great for old people.
    I think they would be great for young people as well. I have two young teenagers that will be driving in a few years. It would be great if the technology was good enough for cars to become essentially "crash-proof".

Unfortunately, the technology is still a long ways away. Maybe my future grandchildren will have proper self-driving cars.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Disclaimer: No amount of debate as to actual fault here will sway my opinion. Computers should not drive cars, period. Driverless tractors and other farm equipment, fine-- just keep them off public highways.
    Yeah, because the human in the car at the time of the incident you cited did such a bang-up job of avoiding the pedestrian.

I think one of the more interesting aspects of this case is whether the human in the car will be found at least partially responsible for the fatality, given that the whole point of the "safety driver" is explicitly to prevent the type of accident that occurred. (It reminds me somewhat of the procedures for handling classified data/documents at my former military contractor employer: the rules seemed to be written not so much to protect the information, but to be able to assign blame when the information got lost/stolen/whatever.)