Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Please help me make my first table saw purchase

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Reich View Post
    Hi Mike:

You can move the riving knife on the shark guard up and down and thus do not have to remove it for non-through cuts. With my Microjig MJ splitter, I always had to put in a different throat plate for non-through cuts. I'm planning on posting a review of the Shark Guard within a week or two and will try to address these questions.
    Is it a manual operation to move the SharkGuard up and down, or does it move with the blade, as you raise and lower the blade?

Also, does it tilt with the blade?

A true riving knife moves with the blade, up and down, and tilts (without any manual intervention). It always stays just below the top of the blade. If it doesn't do that, I consider it a splitter and not a riving knife.

I have not seen any kits that will convert an older saw to a true riving knife, but I expect some may exist.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    If you are willing to spend $2100, then consider (please nobody slam me) a Sawstop PCS. You can get the hybrid for $2300, and the 3hp version for $2800.

There are a lot of nice-to-haves with this:

The fit/finish is comparable to any saw in this price range. Comes with riving knife. Comes with blade brake. Both of the PCS's have a cabinet style base, so they'll be better at dust collection than the contractor saws you're looking at.

the 5hp of the General is nice, but I doubt you'll need it for most 'house-sized' furniture.

There are hidden costs to buying old machinery including elbow grease and possibly upgrading parts. So, don't go that route just to save money.
    Unfortunately, it is much more expensive than that in Canada. Its nearly double the price

The cheapest SawStop is $3658 CAD and thats for the 1.75HP version w/ 36" rails. If I upgrade to 3HP and 52" rails (comparable to the general), the price is $4417 which is more than double the cost of the General.

Mike:

No, it does require manual intervention to move it up and down. You have to adjust the knife, then move the blade. I'm not sure if he makes them that will tilt with the blade (I think it all depends on how it attaches to various saws). There was no way to do that with mine, but I never tilt my blade on this contractor saw.

I'll provide details of its operation in the review and make note of the questions that you raise.

Steve

The shark guard looks really nice but it would cost me ~$320CAD to purchase which brings the price of a unisaw that much closer to the General.

I really do want to get a quality saw that will last me a lifetime, I'm just not sure which route to go. It seems you guys are pretty split between going with an older unisaw and the new general.

For the reasons you mentioned, I'd skip the lighter duty saws if you have 220v and the budget for a 3hp cabinet saw.

A used Uni, General 350/650, or PM66 would be nice if you find one, but the GI looks to be a stout saw. AFAIK, the Craftex CX201 is the same as the Grizzly G0691....could be worth a look too.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Is it a manual operation to move the SharkGuard up and down, or does it move with the blade, as you raise and lower the blade?

Also, does it tilt with the blade?

A true riving knife moves with the blade, up and down, and tilts (without any manual intervention). It always stays just below the top of the blade. If it doesn't do that, I consider it a splitter and not a riving knife.

I have not seen any kits that will convert an older saw to a true riving knife, but I expect some may exist.

Mike
    This one doesn't require any manual intervention once it was installed http://the****store.com/ and stays below the blade

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Giddings View Post
    This one doesn't require any manual intervention once it was installed http://the****store.com/ and stays below the blade
    Sadly, Bob Ross passed away last month, so the B0RK is no longer available.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I went through a craftsman contractor saw, to a delta contractor saw with unifence, to eventually two Unisaws. Each step up was significantly better than the previous saw. A good fence is paramount to a tablesaw that will be fun to use versus frustrating. More power and accuracy and repeatable adjustments (think bevel cuts back to 90 degree) are all things that show up more in a cabinet saw. If you have the pesos buy the cabinet saw to begin with, if not get a contractor saw with a good fence. Of your choices I would buy the Uni, but I am kind of an old Delta fan. FWIW I live in southern Alberta and have bought three used Unisaws for less than $400 in the last couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    For the reasons you mentioned, I'd skip the lighter duty saws if you have 220v and the budget for a 3hp cabinet saw.

A used Uni, General 350/650, or PM66 would be nice if you find one, but the GI looks to be a stout saw. AFAIK, the Craftex CX201 is the same as the Grizzly G0691....could be worth a look too.
    I've looked at a lot of different clones (Magnum Industrial, King, Craftex) and they all make practically the same saw. AFAIK, most of the parts come from the same factory. I have read that the quality control / standards are not as high for the clone brands and I would prefer to stick with General because of it. At $2100 CAD, the General is a good deal (even against the clone competitors).

Hi Mike,

Ya, I have found a few on Kijiji around $500. One was in pretty good shape and ran good. Here are some images from a 34-450 I am considering. This one has a 1.5HP 1 phase motor (no VFD required). It was used sparingly by a retired carpenter and he's asking $550 (firm). Saw ran good (did a few test cuts with it) but it has some rust and would need to be cleaned up. The arbour felt solid (didn't look at the belts). Add a fence and a guard and you're well over $1000. Still, it may be a decent option.

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    Sadly, Bob Ross passed away last month, so the B0RK is no longer available.
    Sorry to hear about Bob Ross, Scott. He developed an excellent product for those of us with older saws.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Dublanko View Post
    The shark guard looks really nice but it would cost me ~$320CAD to purchase which brings the price of a unisaw that much closer to the General.

I really do want to get a quality saw that will last me a lifetime, I'm just not sure which route to go. It seems you guys are pretty split between going with an older unisaw and the new general.
    A riving knife will reduce the potential for a kickback, and if you get a saw with a real riving knife you'll use it all the time. There's a reason why all modern table saws come with riving knives. If it's not required by law, I'll bet it's required for UL, or insurance.

Get a modern saw and don't look back.

Mike

[Even better would be to get a SawStop and get some extra protection for your fingers, but I don't think that's in your budget.]
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Dublanko View Post
    Hi Mike,

Ya, I have found a few on Kijiji around $500. One was in pretty good shape and ran good. Here are some images from a 34-450 I am considering. This one has a 1.5HP 1 phase motor (no VFD required). It was used sparingly by a retired carpenter and he's asking $550 (firm). Saw ran good (did a few test cuts with it) but it has some rust and would need to be cleaned up. The arbour felt solid (didn't look at the belts). Add a fence and a guard and you're well over $1000. Still, it may be a decent option.
    If you want a "forever" table saw, get one with more HP than 1.5. You can work with a 1.5 HP saw but a 3HP is much nicer.

And if it's to be a "forever" saw, at least get one with a real riving knife.

Mike

I have a Unisaw with a Beisemeir splitter, and I love it, but it is NOT a riving knife. It sits back away from the blade to allow the blade to go up or down, as opposed to the riving knife remaining a shorter distance from the blade.

I would get a modern saw also. The GI you mention sounds like your best bet. Maybe you can talk the dealer into some extras, like blade inserts or a dado set? Delivery?
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Given the features you would like, I would stear clear of anything but a cabinet saw. A used Delta, Powermatic, or General in good condition would be a good choice if you want to save money, don't mind spending some time looking for one, and are comfortable replacing belts and bearings if needed. If you don't mind spending more, want it now, want a riving knife, or don't want to do any initial maintenance on it, then a new saw is your best choice. General International, Powermatic, Jet, and Grizzly all sell Asian saws that are fairly comparable. Sawstop saws are nice, too. I wouldn't buy anything new from Delta because of concerns about the availability of repair parts and the future of the company. Really, see which saw has the features you want and is a good price. I have a Unisaw with a 3hp motor, a removable splitter (similar to the Beisemeier) and an overarm blade guard. It's done everything I need, and I've never wished it had a riving knife. As soon as buy something a better deal will come along.

--Geoff