Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Progress report on the electric guitar project

Looks like a great start, Scott. I really like the wood selection and the shape so far. As a player, I'll chime in with yet another opinion on the knob placement, and it pretty much echos what Doug said...the volume knob close to the strings is useful, but you need to make sure there's room enough between it and the other controls. On the guitar in the attached pic, I ended up replacing the master volume with a smaller knob (the silver one closest to the strings), because I kept hitting the pickup selector switch when adjusting the volume, especially doing the pinky trick Doug mentioned. Keep in mind most players don't look at the knobs a lot, the reach and "find" them with their right hand.

Also, regarding the triangular orientation of your knobs, I don't know which are for volume and/or tone, so take this with a grain of salt...If it's wired with a "master" volume knob, I'd recommend having it be the closest to the strings, and oriented in such a way that it's "in front" of the others. That way it's the first thing the player hits when he moves his hand down and to the right. (Again, see the attached pic.) On the other hand, if they are all separate volume pots for each pickup (a sweet way to wire it, OMHO), then it's a toss-up as to which on is the "main" one. I would think the bridge and neck pickups would be the ones a player would be tweaking the most, so I'd arrange the knobs to make them equally easy to find in the dark. That arrangement may just be how you have them laid out now, although if they were a bit farther apart I think they'd be easier to find in a hurry.

The main thing is that the person playing it likes it. And that you have fun building it, too. Keep us posted.

- Vaughn

P.S. Markus, the spalted Tele is sick.

P.P.S. Scott, guitars are kinda like clamps. There's no such thing as too many.

One of my war-torn battleaxes:

Last edited by Vaughn McMillan; 10-23-2005 at 1:43 AM. Reason: Swapped the picture from "attached" to "hosted".

Very cool project Scott and the body and fretboard look great! I can't wait to see the progress pics!!