Thread: Windows 10 - Big Problem with Fonts

Angry Windows 10 - Big Problem with Fonts

I switched to Win10 a couple years ago. Other than a few minor issues I've been real happy with the product.... until now! I can no longer get Fonts to load. It worked as short as a month ago, but not now. If I click on a font that is already loaded, the installer will pop up. However if it isn't currently installed, I get some error about an invalid font file. Not true as the same files load just fine on another win10 machine I have.

I've tried every fix I could find online, but all failed. I can't rollback the Windows patches (I tried) because they are "more than 10 days old"...grrrr. I believe my next step is to take my old SATA drive & reload windows. If that works, I'll have to do the same to my SSD.

Anyone else have/solved this issue?
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Blog Entries
    I've been letting FontNav from Corel manage fonts. I can install and uninstall with it. But there are a couple of sample fonts that it can't find, I've been ignoring them. Just tried Fonts and It worked ok. Removed two fonts. So no problems yet...
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

I have not had that same issue, but on my home(gaming) computer I've had some odd things happen in the past week or so. Won't come out of screen saver unless I hit alt+tab, screen stuttering while watching you tube/netflix, installing new apps sometimes will stop about halfway through.

I updated all the drivers, updated BIOS, ran malwarbytes, etc.. a few days ago and it seems something worked(except for the screen save thing which I think is a power saving setting)
    ULS 50 Watt
    Sublimation
    Sandblasting
    Diamond Drag/Rotary Engraver

Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post
    I've been letting FontNav from Corel manage fonts. I can install and uninstall with it. But there are a couple of sample fonts that it can't find, I've been ignoring them. Just tried Fonts and It worked ok. Removed two fonts. So no problems yet...

That tool is also producing the same error.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Hi Guys,

Windows 10 sent a press release on their last update that happened about a week ago, They are working to fix it... Every ones' machines have been going cooky and awry.

They said the new update will be released soon ( two to three weeks the rep said). call them up if you have a specific issue, to make sure they fix it with their next update.
    Kehui 100w 900x600 with adjustable z axis table,
    3 jaw chuck rotary
    CW 5000 water chiller

English version RdWorks V8.01.28, ( newest version )
    Windows 7 & 10
    Corel Suite X8

30w Fiber Laser with Raycus power source
    rotary and other fun toys I know nothing about yet...lol

If you copy the font file to another location, do you receive the same error? Such as try to install it from a USB drive or a completely different directory?
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Windows has pushed out a massive update recently. Named something like Founders Update. It has proved to be buggy.
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chance in Iowa View Post
    If you copy the font file to another location, do you receive the same error? Such as try to install it from a USB drive or a completely different directory?

Tried that one too... no luck.
    Tim
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

FWIW, if you're using Adobe's products, InDesign at least has a "Document Fonts" folder option where when a file is opened, if there is an appropriately named directory in that location, the program will load any fonts in it for use in that document.

Disk space is cheap enough these days, that I've just gone over to doing that, since the other design program we use at work has a feature which allows one to explicitly load font files from a location as part of the file's structure, as does luatex and xetex (the two typesetting programs I usually use).

I have been watching my wife coping (trying) with the Windows 10 upgrades for the past year. Mine are either Win 7 or Mac computers.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Blog Entries
    Well, I had a big update on 5-10 cumulative for version 1607, then on the 16th, another cumulative update.
    The Creators' Edition is coming out soon. So far, I haven't received it and I'll try to delay it as long as possible.
    Yes Bill, the issue is that you CANNOT STOP the updates!
    Delay for a few days, but unless your internet is OFF, there is no way to stop them.

but FWIW, all the Hacking the other day was supposedly on Win 7 computer systems. not Win 10..... I know my old company stayed 2-3 years behind initial releases and were still on Win 7 last fall.
    Being businesses, That seems to be the norm.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Windows 7 with the updates and no issues, plus Norton's so no problems. They are on top of it.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Font problem resolved along with several other annoying issues when I upgraded to: Windows 10 , version 1703 (Creators Update).
    Tim
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

I had big problems with fonts, in fact I am at windows xp as my laser vintage is 2008
    soon as i move up my fonts look like flinstone letter out of rock