Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Family room built-ins

Family room built-ins

Hi all, wanted to share with you guys my most recent project. Built-ins for our family room. Project took just over a month to complete, mainly working a few hours a night after work and on weekends.

All panels were 3/4" birch ply from the borg, surprisingly the ones I picked up were pretty decent. No crazy bows or voids so working with it wasn't too terrible.

Face frame was 1x2 select pine because I was too lazy to mill my own wood.

Doors were milled from left over poplar I had on hand. Door panel is 1/4" birch ply.

Cabinet base was constructed of dado for the cabinet bottom and pocket screws for the top braces. Upper shelves constructed using 8mm dominos for all the joints. Side profile, crown and trim were brad nails and pin nails.

Finished with 2 coats of Kem aqua surfacer and 2 coats of Kem Aqua white tinted to pure white. Sprayed using my Fuji Q5 HVLP. The paint went on beautifully and was extremely easy to spray. It leveled out flat and super smooth. This will be my go to paint from now on.

When you're short and need to rip 4' of ply, a step stool is your friend (first pic)

I guess enough talking from me. Here are some pictures of the built and finish product.

20170318_133721_resized.jpg1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg

8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg11.jpg12.jpg13.jpg14.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

16.jpg17.jpg18.jpg19.jpg20.jpg21.jpg22.jpg

Thanks for checking it out.

Nicely done. Looks like you did your thinking - the final photos show a great result.
    Night and weekends . Looks like you have a well outfitted shop. Where did you set up to spray?

Cheers, Sam
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Murdoch View Post
    Nicely done. Looks like you did your thinking - the final photos show a great result.
    Night and weekends . Looks like you have a well outfitted shop. Where did you set up to spray?

Cheers, Sam
    Thanks Sam, I dedicated a room about 200 sq. ft in the basement shop for finishing. You can see it in the background with all the plastic coverings in some of the pictures.

Beautiful work!

Painting looks flawless. So how's your schedule looking about 3 weeks out? ...Might let you 'practice' painting on some stuff in Texas...

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    Beautiful work!

Painting looks flawless. So how's your schedule looking about 3 weeks out? ...Might let you 'practice' painting on some stuff in Texas...
    As much as I enjoyed this project..... I hate painting and staining.

As usual... "wowsa!"
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very nicely done sir.

Hoang,

You know of course that if my wife see's your work, I'll will have to "unfriend" you!
    NICE job!

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Very nice. A project I need to tackle in my house in the coming year for a couple of rooms. Thanks for sharing the detailed progress pictures.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. This is just 1 of the many projects my wife has planned for this house. The house is only 5 months old (new build) and she already wants to change so many things about it.

Those look really nice. Those kind of projects make a house a home.

Can the Kem Aqua be tinted in any color like blue or gray?

My wife always says the same thing. She really missed our old house after the move. It was our first house together as a married couple, our son was born into that house and the countless upgrades I did to it in the years we've lived there.

She's starting to come around though, saying things are starting to look more like "home".

To my understanding, the kem aqua can be tinted to "most" colors. Darker colors like black is harder to do but I believe they can, with side affects to my understanding. Gray wasn't an issue since the back board of my built-ins was finished in a gray color (shown in the pictures). I've never tried blue yet but I'm sure the people at SW can answer that question.

I will say, I notice the gray was much thicker than the white. I assume this was due to them having to add a lot of color to get it to the gray I wanted. Don't mistaken thicker as being close to latex thick, it's still many folds thinner than latex.

I also highly recommend Kem aqua surfacer. It's super thin, just like the paint and sprays nicely. I buy their surfacer in 5 gallons buckets because I use it on pretty much everything I spray.

Quote Originally Posted by C Scott McDonald View Post
    Those look really nice. Those kind of projects make a house a home.

Can the Kem Aqua be tinted in any color like blue or gray?
    Last edited by Hoang N Nguyen; 05-30-2017 at 12:14 PM.

BUILT-INS CLOSE UP.jpg

Here's a close up of the finish to give you an idea of how well it sprays. Granted I was using a Fuji Q5, I believe it would spray well with even an earlex 5500 considering how thin it is.