Thread: What is fair price for: JET JWBS-16B, 16" Bandsaw. 1.5 hp

What is fair price for: JET JWBS-16B, 16" Bandsaw. 1.5 hp

I have another post up about buying a new bandsaw or upgrading the motor on my vintage one (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?254775-Thinking-about-buying-a-new-bandsaw). I see that someone in the area has a used - 'good condition' JET JWBS-16B, 16" Bandsaw. 1.5 hp for sale. They are asking 950. What would be a good price assuming the 'good' condition.

I do not think they are made anymore or at least not sold in the US. What would be a fair price for that? I am posting this in a new thread because I do not think it will get a reply burred in an old thread. Thank you. David
    Last edited by David Metzman; 05-17-2017 at 4:33 PM.

2. I have a Jet JWBS 18" bandsaw that sold new for around $1,300.......depending on how old it is, that might be a bit on the high side at $950, but if fairly new and lightly used, then you might be in good shape. I worked on one of those for a friend back about 4 years ago, and it seems to be a good saw.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Grizzly's least expensive 17" 2hp bandsaw is $1045 shipped, and is probably a better saw. I think the 16" jet only has 10" of resaw height, if that's a concern for you. I have a Jet JWBS-18 with a 1.5 hp motor that I bought used with a mobile base a few blades for $600. I put a 1/2" carbon steel blade on it and it works fine for cutting turning blanks. I've never stalled the motor, but cuts much slower than my friend's saw with a 4hp motor. Since the saw is known for having some problems with frame flex I wouldn't use a much wider blade on it or a bi-metal or carbide blade. The European guides on my saw are awful to adjust, but I think the newer ball-bearing guides are better.

--Geoff