Thread: Worked on Mortises Today

Worked on Mortises Today

Hi folk.
    I have been practicing mortises for about 5-6 hours today. I have a project I'm planning, and am doing a sort of test run.
    I did absolutely horrible work all day, but toward the end of the day I started making progress, and I think by the time I've cut all the mortises and tenons for the mock up I'll be ready to actually build something.
    I had a great time, and am looking forward to more of the same.

Progress is a good feeling. Are you following any particular instructor's method? or You Tube demos?
    David

Blog Entries
    I did absolutely horrible work all day, but toward the end of the day I started making progress, and I think by the time I've cut all the mortises and tenons for the mock up I'll be ready to actually build something.
    It is the same with dovetails. Usually my plan is to cut the unseen ones first. By the time the last ones are done they look better than the first. Either that or cut a few warm up dovetails before cutting the ones that count.

Good luck with the project and as always pictures are welcome.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks for responding, gentlemen.
    David, I am following Paul Sellers' methods on Youtube. He is straightforward, thorough and simple. And he fires my imagination.
    Jim, good to know it's not just because I'm new to it.
    As for pictures, I would not post pictures of the horrors I created today, but once I start in on my first project, of which this is a dry run, I definitely will post pictures.
    I hope to be as active as I can on this forum.

Blog Entries
    As for pictures, I would not post pictures of the horrors I created today
    Maybe that is an idea for a different thread. Folks could post pictures of some of their mistakes or early work compared to current work. New folks coming by could see that they are not alone and their is hope.

Some of my early dovetails with craters and gaps still serve a use in the shop.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Maybe that is an idea for a different thread. Folks could post pictures of some of their mistakes or early work compared to current work. New folks coming by could see that they are not alone and their is hope.

Some of my early dovetails with craters and gaps still serve a use in the shop.

jtk
    Along the same lines, there are a lot of antiques out there with dovetails that have served their purpose for a century or more, but do not look very good. It is nice if they look good, but they don't always have to look good to work.

7. Well I have been practicing making bow ties to tighten some cracks in a walnut slab I have. I have been practicing on and off for a couple of weeks along with routing out the slots? for them to go into. Got a very good bow tie this afternoon that I will use as a template and am getting better at fitting them into their final resting places. Practice is really good for the soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Terrance Mitchell View Post
    Practice is really good for the soul.
    I agree. I like working the wood, even if I'm not very good at it yet. That should come in time, though.