Thread: Compound Miter Extention Fence

Compound Miter Extention Fence

Hello all
    Awhile back I built my compound miter saw station between two steel shelves and added extension fences on either side. I find to be a good multiuse of space.
    The fences are bolted to the vertical uprights on the steel shelves with two carriage bolts per side. Horizontal "bed" is dadoed into the vertical fence with bracing underto keep it all at 90 degrees. I have washers and shims to adjust the fence and the saw.

One problem is I have been struggling to get it deadly true to the saw fence.... only having a 4' level and straight edge is not helping.

How important is it that the extension fence actually be on the same "plane" (vertically) as the saw fence? I have seen some plans where people don't even have the vertical part of the fence. Would it be unwise to have the saw forward of the extension fence? The "bed" will be flat across it all

Also I would like to incorporate a stop system on the left side but given how close the vertical fence is to the up rights ones like the kreg that sit on the top will not work. I'm debating routing a track on the vertical face for T track. one the "bed would be a pain I think as it would get saw dust in it

Hope that verbiage makes sense
    Any thoughts or recommendations welcome

These are the pictures that I had readily available.... if better ones would help I can get them
    Fence can be seen in back ground behind sub box

Left side fence.... exact same on the right
    Attached Images Attached Images

Actually, there are some advantages to having the extension behind the saw fence. You have more flexibility in cutting rough stock if the extension is held back. In other words, your extension is going to interfere with a cut on anything that's not perfectly straight. You can use a string line to set it parallel... or close enough.

As for the stop, if you can't put it on top of the extended fence, try routing the T track into the face.

I agree with Eric. The extension fence is best behind the line of the saw fence. I use it for support and clamping stop to for repeat cuts. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schmid View Post
    Actually, there are some advantages to having the extension behind the saw fence. You have more flexibility in cutting rough stock if the extension is held back. In other words, your extension is going to interfere with a cut on anything that's not perfectly straight. You can use a string line to set it parallel... or close enough.

As for the stop, if you can't put it on top of the extended fence, try routing the T track into the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lomman View Post
    I agree with Eric. The extension fence is best behind the line of the saw fence. I use it for support and clamping stop to for repeat cuts. Cheers
    Thanks guys, how much would you say is practical to have the saw forward of the extension fences?
    I was thinking of adding some 1/2" MDF to the saw fence to act like a zero clearance like what Dan Pattison did here

I just have extension tables, no fence, so warps and wangs don't matter. I keep a sort of "hook" about 50" out on either side so nothing can roll or fall off the back after cutting. For repetitive measurement I put down an adhesive Starrett tape measure and use a speed square with a clamp for a stop when I want a repetitive stop. Simple, quick, old school in some ways, but works very well.
    It is easier to be imperfect and plan for it, than to try to be perfect and swear at it.

Blog Entries
    I think you are showing off your really neat fence. If mine looked like that, I would too.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Rosypal View Post
    Thanks guys, how much would you say is practical to have the saw forward of the extension fences?
    I was thinking of adding some 1/2" MDF to the saw fence to act like a zero clearance like what Dan Pattison did here
    Thinking about something too long is dangerous, it is even more dangerous to ask for a bunch of opinions. Why not JUST DO IT? If you like it, great, if not, great, remove it.

Overthinking leads to inaction.

Definitely recommend zero clearance fence and throat plate insert.

The only point I see in having a vertical fence on the extension is to mount a tape and stop like the Kreg fence. I don't have a vertical stop (extension fence) on any of my saws, but 1/2" sounds like a good starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Blasco View Post
    I just have extension tables, no fence, so warps and wangs don't matter. I keep a sort of "hook" about 50" out on either side so nothing can roll or fall off the back after cutting. For repetitive measurement I put down an adhesive Starrett tape measure and use a speed square with a clamp for a stop when I want a repetitive stop. Simple, quick, old school in some ways, but works very well.
    Thanks Sam

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I think you are showing off your really neat fence. If mine looked like that, I would too.
    LOL necessity was the mother of invention for the extensions.... but yes I am proud of it
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Reischl View Post
    Thinking about something too long is dangerous, it is even more dangerous to ask for a bunch of opinions. Why not JUST DO IT? If you like it, great, if not, great, remove it.

Overthinking leads to inaction.
    True that!! Analysis Paralysis

Just curious what others are doing for saw being proud of extension fence

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schmid View Post
    Definitely recommend zero clearance fence and throat plate insert.

The only point I see in having a vertical fence on the extension is to mount a tape and stop like the Kreg fence. I don't have a vertical stop (extension fence) on any of my saws, but 1/2" sounds like a good starting point.
    Thanks Eric,
    Yes throat plate is certainly on my short list.... had tooooo many pieced fall in the opening already
    Good to know your thoughts on the fence

4 out of 4 comments are for having the saw fence proud
    1 try it
    1 showing off LOL