Thread: Anyone Have the Ridgid 6" ROS?

Blog Entries

Anyone Have the Ridgid 6" ROS?

I know, blasphemy. But, for someone that power sands as little as I do . . .

I guess I am looking for a way to get through it faster and the 6" diameter would certainly do that. I would have to store another power tool but, wonder if the benefit would be worth the cost plus all the new sandpaper I would have to get.

Yes I know the Festool cures cancer, walks on water, argues with God and wins every time; I am asking about this particular inexpensive sander.

I have read some reviews from back in 2011 but, unfortunately at this point in history, more recent reviews are required due to ever changing sources for parts and assemblies. Anyone have one? Your thoughts on it?

TIA.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 05-18-2017 at 3:12 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I bought one Glen. Bought it for an outside job that I thought would klll it, and it did not. Quite tough, has two orbits on a handy selector, does a good finish on higher mode. Ergonomically not bad, vibration acceptable for a cheap tool, better than some.

I liked the style, so ended up trying Fus-Tool and a Bosch. Thought the Bosch was a better tool, bought that and gave the Ridgid to a friend. Not because it was junk, just time to change. Considering price, I would give it two thumbs up.

I have one and its OK. It does make large, flat surfaces go more quickly, but I switch to a 5" for finer grits for more control, as I need two hands to manage the 6" ROS. So if you asked me, I'd say it depends on whether you will be doing a lot of large flat surfaces. If you know you want a 6", its the easiest one to find in the stores.

I bought one about 3 years back when I had some nasty work to prepare 250 sq ft of subfloor under some 25-year old vinyl. Pulling up the old floor left behind an uneven pastiche of paper, mastic, leveling compound and bare ply. Hand scraping was futile. A floor sander seemed overkill and the various materials had different densities, so I wanted a lighter touch.
    This tool did the job admirably.
    I did not use the dust bag; I removed it and discovered the discharge end will accept two sizes of hose to a vacuum. Sweet.
    Got it done with 40 & 60 grit disks and an antique Genie shop-vac. (The pros installing the new floor liked it.) Negligible airborne dust... unless the hose shakes off (tape it). I stayed toward lower speed and fresh disks because the old mastic would liquefy and gum the disks at higher rpm and/or worn disks (more friction = more heat).
    Dust recovery is great with disks perforated to match the platen, with vacuum pulling. Although there is a skirt to localize vacuum around the platen, dust recovery degrades noticeably with solid disks.
    I have not used it for finer grit or a smaller job, but would not hesitate to do so. It's much larger than my familiar PC333. It handles well and has adequate grunt when I lean on I just little bit. Install and use the forward handle (separate item in box).
    No regrets. It's a keeper for big jobs.

BobV

I have one and like it, but it's a few years old so I don't know how it compares to the current. I sort of vaguely recall that when I bought mine, I had read that they were made by Metabo so were of good quality. I don't have a clue who makes them for HD now. Vibration is tolerable, with padded gloves.

I will say that I really like having the larger pad. Like many, I dislike sanding so getting through it faster is a big plus for me, and most of my projects are bigger stuff. Hooked to shop vac, great dust collection, but I'd think that's true of most sanders nowadays.

Ken

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys, Large flat areas is what I am looking to use it for. I've got a couple of Bosch 5" and a plethora of discs so I think I'll give the 6" a shot for preliminary prep and see how it goes.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler