Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handworks 2017

Handworks 2017

I am planning to go to Handworks this weekend. Does anyone who has been in the past recall whether or not the vendors accept credit cards or just cash?

Also, does anyone have any insight on the parking situation? For example, is it going to be a hike from the parking areas to the event locations? I do not mind a walk, but just want to know if I should plan on not needing to go back to my car until i leave at the end of the day.

If anyone has any tips or information that is helpful then I (and others) would appreciate it.

thanks,
    Ian
    Last edited by Ian Guy; 05-18-2017 at 2:56 PM.

Blog Entries
    I will be there. I do not have answers for you, but I created a Facebook page called "going to Handworks 2017" to ask questions and ride share. It is NOT a sponsored or official page. I just saw a lot of folks asking questions so I created a page. Not many folks have joined.

I flew Lee to Kansas City and borrowed my brotjer's truck. I am driving to Des Moines tonight and then to Cedar Rapids in the morning. See ya there.

Malcolm,
    thanks, I will try to take a look at your Facebook page. Safe travels.

-Ian

Malcolm, I don't have facebook, but I hope we can meet somehow
    No, the sky is not falling - just chunks of it are.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by allen long View Post
    Malcolm, I don't have facebook, but I hope we can meet somehow
    Would love to. I am in an orange jacket and will have a canvas backpack to haul my loot in. I look like a much more muscular version of Brad Pitt. (That last part may not be true)

Blog Entries
    Wow. I am blown away by this event. There is a guy that made an exact replica of the H.O. Studley tool chest- right down to the tools. Veritas has their large plow, and it is a glorious piece of art. They are offering a free custom made box if you buy (pre order) at the show. Of course I did!!! I'm going to download pics Sunday night when I get home. It's so much awesome that my head is spinning right now.

Is it a large plow plane, similar to the small plow? Or is what you are calling the large plow the combination plane I am seeing on Instagram

Blog Entries
    IMG_1395.jpgIMG_1396.jpg

Most of my photos were taken with the camera and I can't download them until I get home. Here are some teasers- the Veritas large plow and the custom fit case, and a prototype saw by Blue Spruce that he was going to have ready for production this summer, but it may or may not due to patent concerns. It does not flex, and can easily be rotated without releasing tension. The handle... wow... it was so perfect in the hand.

I met all the hand tool greats and have truly been inspired to continue to pursue the craft. A-MA-ZING event.

Sounds like a lot of fun Malcolm. Look forward to hearing more after you get back home!
    Fred

Are the blades for LV's small plow plane and the new large plow interchangeable?
    Pete

Blog Entries
    Everyone feels differently. A friend and I went to Handworks a few years ago by driving from Western Iowa. Even though it was a short trip by traveling standards, we looked around for a couple of hours, bought a book or two, hit the LN and LV booth, talked a bit with Mike Siemsen. Even though we planned on both days, we felt we had seen everything we came to see and left for home that day. For me, it was like a Gun show, once you've seen the tables and looked at what you want, there is no point in hanging around

That said, I know others feel otherwise and good for them. As for myself, even though I'm happy we went, my one and only trip to Handworks was enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Magoon View Post
    Are the blades for LV's small plow plane and the new large plow interchangeable?
    Pete
    Hello Pete,

I asked Robin Lee the same question and he told me that yes, all of the blades for the small plow plane will work in their new combination plane.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    IMG_1395.jpgIMG_1396.jpg

Most of my photos were taken with the camera and I can't download them until I get home. Here are some teasers- the Veritas large plow and the custom fit case.
    Any pricing information on the large plow? Are they offering the case as part of the deal?

Simon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    Any pricing information on the large plow? Are they offering the case as part of the deal?

Simon
    Price at the show was $399 for the large plow and one included blade. They threw in the wood storage box for free with it, but the box will be an option when it hits the market. Rob said they didn't have Pricing worked out yet for the box. Not shown well in my image, the top of the box slides and locks so you can safely carry it by the top. It has two boxes inside that fit all the blades, assuming you take them out of the protective wrappers they come in. Each blade is between $18 and just over $22 as I recall. I bought all the new beading blades (which takes you up to 1/2" width bead), one 1/4" cove, a four-bead blade, and- gosh- I can't remember now! I believe I also got a rabbeting blade. My total came to $518 for the plane and around six blades.

I confirmed with Rob and Vic that all blades for the small plow will fit the large. Also Rob said that Stanley blades fit as well, but regretfully I do not remember which model- I believe 55 but maybe the 45. I don't know the difference and don't own one but do know he said they would fit.

There was a micro-adjust on the fence, which I loved. There was clearly a lot of thought put into this thing.

Thank you for the detailed information. That is something I can easily afford now (I have saved a lot from not attending the show!), However, I will wait till some full reviews are out (Derek?) and hopefully they will bring it to the Woodworking Shows in the new season where I can try. I might build my own box if the price isn't right, especially I prefer a hardwood case.

I know Lie-Nielsen is still working on its large plow. The best thing to happen is if we have both available for a test run. But I will make my buy one way or the other by Christmas.

By the way, I don't like or trust the reviews seen in any woodworking magazines as they usually are lacking in analysis or depth (and perceived impartiality). 9 out of 10 times, the editor or reviewer will tell you to buy what they have reviewed. If I am going to spend $500 on a toy, I want an objective critique (nothing is perfect) before I open my wallet.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 05-21-2017 at 10:06 AM.