Thread: A computer question MacBook Pro

A computer question MacBook Pro

Several times each day I use the MANAGE WEBSITE PREFERENCE option to clear the website data to websites that I have visited during the day. Presumably I am clearing out the cookies that websites leave when I visit (or it seems, sometimes just get close to - like seeing the name in a google ad.)

I could use private browsing (Safari is my default browser) even in Safari but I choose not to do that because I participate in a few forums and use google mail so I would need to log in every single time to all these everyday website which I frequent.

Up until yesterday - just clearing selected websites on my "manage" page and "removing" those web sites took them off my website history forever (or until I went back, of course).

NOW
    I have one website which just cannot be cleared off. I cannot select it independently (as with all the others and as I have always done). It just cannot be deleted. If I select ALL the website history it clears the cache for a few seconds but nearly immediately that one web site comes back as if I am always linked onto their site.

Please - any idea how to permanently delete this leech? It is a check printing company - NOT the one I use and not one I will ever do business with or investigate their site. In fact, I don't think I have ever been to their site.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. BTW - my operating system is OS X Yosemite version 10.10.5 - if that is a useful bit of info.

Thank you.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I had one of those on my MacBook Pro. Insidious little bugger. It took over Google, and every time Google loaded up as the home page it loaded up with it.
    I searched the Mac OS forums and found a way to clear it. IIRC, I had to manually clear out the home page, in the preference pane, while I had Mozilla up at the same time to read the instructions. It took me a day or so, bit I finally got it off.
    You didn't have to go their site. It was probably loaded with a site you did go to, and did not realize it.
    Search the Mac Forums, or try to manually type in your home page.

MacKeeper is a real PITB to get off your laptop if you ever accidentally load the ad for that piece of garbage.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Thanks Mike - good place to start.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Stay away from MacKeeper. It is highly questionable as to what all it does.

John

Not sure if this will totally solve it but I use MacCleaner3 and I really like it. I will run it every couple of months and it seems to have solved the issues you are having and I had.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Brandstetter View Post
    Not sure if this will totally solve it but I use MacCleaner3 and I really like it. I will run it every couple of months and it seems to have solved the issues you are having and I had.
    Thanks Scott but this was a one time issue for me with one web site. Has never happened before. In any case - all gone now. Seems I only needed to delete it a hundred times or so before it gave up. After a few days of deleting, it finally disappeared - no other tactics required.
    Last edited by Sam Murdoch; 05-19-2017 at 10:41 PM.
    WQJudge