Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old Chisel

Blog Entries
    I see a lot of posts about wooden mallets, and a lot of Youtube videos on how to build one. But when I actually see people chopping mortises/working with chisels, they never use one.
    Mine are used all the time:

Mallet 'justed.jpg

Starting with the one at the bottom with some visible printing is my first mallet that was bought at a local hardware store. It has served well for years. Going counter clockwise is my plane hammer with lignum vitae for the head and the handle is myrtle from Oregon. It was one of my first attempts at making a chisel handle, it broke, so it was repurposed.

Next is a piece of oak ~2X4 a friend salvaged from a pallet. He made it into a crude mallet. It came to me through his estate and the handle got a bit more shaping. This is great mallet for light taps when working with a chisel. It practically lives on my bench.

At the corner of the bench is my "go to" big bopper. It is made of local bog cherry or bitter cherry from the firewood pile. It has been whacking chisels for six years. Great for chopping a mortise or a dovetail. My dovetails are now usually sawn out and pared. Here is the build thread on that:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ads-to-Another

At the top is a mallet made of ash. it was made to sell at the farmers market but the wood has a crack so it is my beater mallet. Often at the farmers market it will be used to draw in a passer by when they are asked if they know anyone who is mallet adjusted. Sometime Lincoln will be quoted, "with mallets towards none."

The last one was sold at the farmers market after one side of it was cut on the bandsaw to produce pyramids turning into a meat tenderizer.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim, a literal glut of wooden mallets.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Baker 2 View Post
    Jim, a literal glut of wooden mallets.
    Have about as many that are turned on the lathe and some that just have a handle carved on one end.

This one is my froe whacker:

Big Whacker.jpg

It was a little unwieldy so the handle was made a bit longer to move the center of gravity.

My recollection is my grandson got his first experience at the lathe when this one was made.

Found the picture:

Mike on Lathe.jpg

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 05-23-2017 at 12:43 PM. Reason: my recollection...
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I like the look of the round mallets. I think they might also be more graceful in the hand, but that's just a guess.
    Cool pic of the grandson, btw. I hope he learns to love working wood!

BTW, is that Froe Wacker spalted maple? Beautiful, either way.

I see a lot of posts about wooden mallets, and a lot of Youtube videos on how to build one. But when I actually see people chopping mortises/working with chisels, they never use one.
    I sometimes use one, but it is bigger and heavier than my "wood is good" mallet. If I could turn wood, I would probably build a couple of smaller ones, would increase the likelihood that I would use them more.

Blog Entries
    BTW, is that Froe Wacker spalted maple? Beautiful, either way.
    It is a piece of alder off the firewood pile. It grows like weeds around here.

If I could turn wood, I would probably build a couple of smaller ones
    For some reason after reading this my mind was flooded with the thought of "how much wood could a wood turner turn if a wood turner could turn wood?"

I have made a few small turned mallets. They do not get used much. Mostly they are used for froe whacking. Here two turned and two carved whackers:

Froe Whackers.jpg

The big one is from my previous post after the handle was lengthened. The skinny white one is made of vine maple and is used on the mini froe in the picture. the other two are repurposed alder and cherry firewood.

jtk

Wooden mallets here too! I like them. I made the big one (oak and ash) for mortising, the smaller one (ash and beech) for smaller work. And I bought the round mallet for carving, it is made from hornbeam.

FullSizeRender.jpg

I use a 30 ounce dogwood mallet for making mortises. I made the mallet in 1979 and have used it for thousands of mortises. I recommend a solid wood mallet head, not a lamination.

Blog Entries
    Terrance, that chisel is one to be proud of.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mickley View Post
    I use a 30 ounce dogwood mallet for making mortises. I made the mallet in 1979 and have used it for thousands of mortises. I recommend a solid wood mallet head, not a lamination.
    Yep, and dogwood has a long history of use for mallets.

Believe that is an old leather ring at top...Put there to assist/guard when being pounded by a mallet...Good chisel.
    Jerry

I think the wood mallet is one of those projects for beginning woodworkers, like a marking gauge, or winding sticks. Maybe more a way to instill into the new guys the idea of building tools when you need them. But I don't see a lot of people actually using that one.
    Well, it is a big world. My experience has been the opposite. I use my wooden mallet all the time. I use my marking gauges and winding sticks too.

People should use what they want to though. I started with a cheap plastic/rubber combination hammer from the hardware store. Worked fine until the plastic face broke. Then I used a solid rubber mallet. It worked too, just not particularly well. I have an idea that the wood transfers energy more efficiently than the rubber. In any event, I have used them both, and prefer the wooden mallet. Mine is out of maple. I have not tried other species, so that may make a difference.

The OP mentioned he was going to buy one, so I just thought I would mention you can make a very serviceable mallet without having to spend a bunch of money on one, hunt down a burl, or buy a lathe, 12/4 stock, etc. I see Warren likes solid mallets. He is right about most things, so I would defer to him. If you don't have access to 12/4 stock to make the head though, I have found the laminated one I made has been very serviceable. I do not have a lathe, so have not tried the turned style Jim seems to like.

I use a $5 white rubber mallet.
    I see a lot of posts about wooden mallets, and a lot of Youtube videos on how to build one. But when I actually see people chopping mortises/working with chisels, they never use one. Everyone pretty much uses a modern plastic or rubber headed mallet.
    I think the wood mallet is one of those projects for beginning woodworkers, like a marking gauge, or winding sticks. Maybe more a way to instill into the new guys the idea of building tools when you need them. But I don't see a lot of people actually using that one.
    My white rubber mallet is working well, and I don't see the need for a wooden one at this stage.
    But I might choose to build one in the future just for the experience.
    I think modern users like the dual head mallets because the can simply spin it and use it for assembly without denting the wood. I don't like using my wooden mallets for assembly, but prefer them for whacking chisels for some reason or another. I have never had issues beating up my chisels with a beech mallet and I have whacked them pretty hard at times.

Someone earlier mentioned the longer chisels and balance. I never understand this argument. A set of chisels has the same size handle and a full range of widths. How can there be any "right balance" except on one or two sizes? I get it if you prefer the balance of your Swan 1/2" over your Stanley 1/2", but it makes no sense that a particular brand overall has better balance across the sizes. Again, overall heavier or lighter I understand.