Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Loving my new Shark Guard!!

Hi Chris, I am in Calgary this week, will gladly send a photo on the weekend.

I didn't use the Shark Guard because the one I found was splitter mounted, so it can't be used for non through cuts, same as the original Hammer guard.

The Hammer guard is better than the Shark as it's very narrow, however it also is splitter mounted so it can't be used for non through cuts.

The guard I installed can slide left/right so it doesn't interfere with the crosscut fence or the rip fence.

regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Giddings View Post
    Yes for the slider, Chris. I've just raised a query with Lee Styron (the owner) to see how much clearance I need. Certainly both Hammer and Felder are listed as available but I want to check that the fastening knobs don't clash with the end of the fence. On mine the space is about 1.5 inches which (hopefully) is enough :-).

For those that have the new guard, how much do the knobs stick out relative to the side of the blade and can you reverse them so that they are on the right hand side of the guard?
    I have a Hammer K3 and use the Shark Guard. Lee was very helpful in cutting down the fastening knobs on the slider side so the crosscut fence on my slider will clear the guard - I just let him know how much clearance I had. If you use a scoring blade, I think the shorter version of the guard would land right on top of the scoring blade. I went with the longer guard so I could use it with the scoring blade. It is a bit clunky because of its length but I haven't had any issues. Also, I have the 4" dust collection port and often have to adjust the blast gate to cut back on suction if my offcuts are small because the suction otherwise wants to pull everything up the hose (with a 3HP Oneida system).

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lucht View Post
    I have a Hammer K3 and use the Shark Guard. Lee was very helpful in cutting down the fastening knobs on the slider side so the crosscut fence on my slider will clear the guard - I just let him know how much clearance I had. If you use a scoring blade, I think the shorter version of the guard would land right on top of the scoring blade. I went with the longer guard so I could use it with the scoring blade. It is a bit clunky because of its length but I haven't had any issues. Also, I have the 4" dust collection port and often have to adjust the blast gate to cut back on suction if my offcuts are small because the suction otherwise wants to pull everything up the hose (with a 3HP Oneida system).
    Thanks Jeff, very helpful. I did send an email to Lee to let him know what the clearance is on a C3 (should be the same as yours) so should all be good. He also recommended the long guard to cover the scoring blade when I originally reached out to him to get on the list. Going for 80mm on mine for the dust port but I can see the offcuts are going to be an issue (ClearVue DC on mine)

I have one on my Unisaw. I went with their adjusting riving knife and guard. I need to run a hose from the ceiling so it's not in the way.

I did notice the black knobs can get in the way and the blade typically has be run higher than normal for stock to pass. Likely not an issue but what I have noticed.

Andy,

I measured it at 1 5/8" but from your exchange below with Jeff it sounds like you have things worked out. Lee was very good to work with and seemed able to custom build the guard for a variety of set ups. And I don't see why he couldn't install smaller knobs or a slightly shorter mounting bolt to give you the clearance that you need. Good luck.

Steve

Thanks for your help, Steve

Got my new Shark Guard installed on to my Hammer C3 recently. Works very well for dust collection and for safety/clarity. As I have a scoring saw blade, I got the long version of the guard to ensure that was under the guard. Easy to remove when required and the 80mm dust port fits the standard hose perfectly. I did have to replace the supplied knobs with something smaller from McMaster-Carr in order to clear the end of the crosscut fence.

Guard.jpg

I just got mine installed this weekend as well. Works great and much less clunky than the Grizzly overarm guard I was using.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Giddings View Post
    Got my new Shark Guard installed on to my Hammer C3 recently. Works very well for dust collection and for safety/clarity. As I have a scoring saw blade, I got the long version of the guard to ensure that was under the guard. Easy to remove when required and the 80mm dust port fits the standard hose perfectly. I did have to replace the supplied knobs with something smaller from McMaster-Carr in order to clear the end of the crosscut fence.

Guard.jpg
    Hi Andy, does it work better than the stock guard?

I had no issues with the stock guard except for non through cuts............regards, Rod.

Rod, for dust collection and being able to see through the guard - definitely better. Obviously the collection is linked to the size of the nozzle so this would vary based on the spec chosen. For through cuts - I haven't tried it out yet - it looks as if the riving knife is below the top of the blade (whereas the stock guard is definitely above) so that part would be better - but you would still need to take the guard off. The overheard guard is obviously safer for these cuts, and I would think yours is the best overall solution.