Thread: Beater Workbench made out of Maple/Cherry $150 - Irvine, California

Beater Workbench made out of Maple/Cherry $150 - Irvine, California

Built this workbench a long time ago around 1999-ish. Been my beater bench ever since I built another workbench. Currently do not have the floorspace for it.

Sort of a franken-bench as it's seen a number of modifications early on to accomodate a Lee Valley twin-screw vise (not included) that worked great until my wife drove our mini-van into the the twin screw handle and broke the vise. Tail vise is a bit tight due to wood shrinkage over the years, but is the same acme tail vise featured in Nelson/Fortune bench in Scott Landis Workbench book. Tail vise is hard maple core with Cocobolo lamination on the outside.

workbench top 3" thick hard maple 27" x 71.5" x 3" thick. Top is solid hard maple 3" x 19" wide then a 8" wide tool tray. Tool tray is totally split from the top on one end of the bench and should be ripped off and re-glued.

Base is 28" (28+3"=31" total bench height) tall made of Cherry in a greene and greene style with a baltic birch cabinet in the middle. No drawers are included but you can build/add your own.

$150 obo Local pickup in Irvine, CA.

I don't need a bench but it looks like with a little clean up and work, that would be a really nice bench for someone. Nice bones. Randy

That's tempting but I just don't have room for it in my shop. I live fairly close to you.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

This one has my name written all over it. PM and email sent.
    Last edited by Steve Mathews; 05-20-2017 at 9:43 PM.

I'm stoked! Looks like I'll be taking a little trip West to pick up Glenn's old workbench. It may be a beater (his words not mine) but it looks far better than I would be able to make as a first attempt. Did I say I'm excited?