Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New jig saw: Bosch JS572 vs Festool Carvex

New jig saw: Bosch JS572 vs Festool Carvex

I'm looking for a new jig saw with upgraded guides that keep the blade perpendicular when cutting through thicker hardwood stock 4/4-6/4. I'm a long time Bosch JS user and am leaning toward the JS572 barrel handle with dual guides at $264. I looked at Festool Carvex PS 420 EBQ with triple guides $372

The $100 price difference isn't a big deal for a tool I'd expect to last 10+ years in a non-production environment.

One advantage of the Carvex is the brushless motor, although I never had to replace brushes on either of the Bosch jig saws I owned over the past 20 years or so.

Any thoughts/opinions appreciated...thank you.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

There was a thread a couple of weeks ago about this and the general consensus was that the jigsaw was the week link in the Festool line. Go Bosch.

To be able to tilt the Carvex will require an optional expensive base. The Carvex is designed to use a variety of bases for different purposes so need to budget in for the accessory kit as well.

I have a couple Bosch 1590/1591 saws and a Festool Trion. I've used the JS572 and Carvex. I would choose the Bosch JS572 without question even ignoring any price difference. I'm a big Festool fan in general with a dozen of their tools but would never even consider the Carvex. Almost hard to believe that a great company blew it so badly on the Carvex and haven't killed it. It even says a lot that the Carvex was supposed to replace the Trion and then they backpedaled and continued the Trion.

Like you I have the older Bosch and the Trion. The only jigsaw I would consider over the Bosch JS572 would be the Mafell P1cc. High priced but supposed to be the ultimate jigsaw. Available shipped from England with accessories for around 750 so not cheap. Seems to be what the Carvex was supposed to compete with but fell far short.

I have the older Bosch 1591. Works very well for what I need. Comments above are very much inline with what I see/hear all the time.

Peter, I've looked at the Mafell and couldn't find any info on it's blade guide design, and whether it cuts perfectly perpendicular even through 8/4 hardwood (which for that price I'd expect it to do).

I've always owned D handle jig saws, but the barrel handle looks like it would have greater control on precision cuts over top handle models. This seems to be the general consensus.
    Last edited by scott vroom; 05-20-2017 at 10:28 PM.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I bought the Carvex and the accessory kit with all the bases a few weeks ago and ended up returning them both. I was only allowed to return the accessory kit because I left it untouched while I tried out the Carvex. I found it seriously lacking considering the price even though I really tried to justify the expense.
    However, you are looking for 90° cuts in thick stock, which I was not. Also, I already have a Bosch 1587 barrel grip which has served me well for thirty years. I was expecting the Carvex to be a step up, which it was not. So yeah I agree, either go Bosch or sell yor car and get a Marfell. When I looked at Marfell I thought I was looking at a grand to start. I'm surprised to read they can be had for under $800. If you are willing to spend that, I would dig deeper. It looks pretty amazing.

I just recently bought the JS572EB. My buddy has the Carvex. He said if he had to do it again he'd go Bosch.

Base doesn't tilt, and it doesn't have a blower to keep the line clean.

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    I've looked at the Mafell and couldn't find any info on it's blade guide design, and whether it cuts perfectly perpendicular even through 8/4 hardwood (which for that price I'd expect it to do).
    After noodling around wood forums, seems the Mafell cuts perpendicular through 8/4 despite having no visible blade guide....? I don't own a bandsaw, but would be nice to make other-than-straight profiles on furniture .....poor man's bandsaw?
    Scott Vroom

Sounds like somebody's getting a Marfell...

Looking forward to the feedback.

"Dude, you're getting a Marfell!" (Is that available now?)

Seriously, it might be a poor mans bandsaw in a way. But it's also possible a hefty sharp blade in a good Bosch would give you the cut you desire. It seems like either way, that cut will need to be cleaned up on a sander of some sort. A drum for inside cuts, a belt for outside cuts. So maybe consider that as well.

I am no expert on the Mafell but what I have read says since it does not rely upon metal or carbide guides that overheat the blade that blades last far longer. Also Mafell has some specialty blades that are somewhat triangular shaped for strength and these work extremely well for vertical cuts in thick materials. Of course they are pricey blades but you can still use normal t-shank blades from Bosch and Festool. It is well over 1000 with the adjustable base and rail from US suppliers but is available from England far cheaper. US pricing being held up artificially compared to the rest of the world.
    I confess to never having touched or use of the Mafell. Just a tool junkie that lusts after the best.

This video makes it look very well thought out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=P...&v=k_qkzWHfETs

I sold my Carvex a few weeks ago and went to the Bosch JS572. Loving the Bosch, hated the Carvex.

I have the Carvex, have not used the Bosch, but was using a cordless dewalt for a few years and the Carvex is better, but not that much to justify the cost for me. I have a Bandsaw now, so I rarely use a jigsaw for precision work, otherwise I'd probably try something else.