Thread: Edge Sander Recommendations

Edge Sander Recommendations

Of the following edge sanders, does anyone have an opinion, pro or con? Any one of these should suit my needs, just wondering if anyone has any particular issues with any of the listed items. Motor HP seems similar. I have looked for a while for a used one. Either they are industrial units that are huge and I can't move them or the price asked is silly.

Jet OES-80CS 6x89” oscillating edge sander. My understanding is that the oscillation of more belt tracking as opposed to an actual mechanical oscillating system. $1019 (tool nut, total price, no tax, free shipping).

Delta 31-482 6x89” oscillating edge sander. Not sure of the oscillation mechanism. Looks exactly like the Jet so could be oscillating in the same manner. $1015 (amazon, free shipping but with tax).

Grizzly G1140 6x80” edge sander. Looks reasonably robust. $904 with shipping.

Shopfox W1688 6x80” edge sander. Looks like the Grizzly. $1090 with shipping.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

David

Blog Entries
    I have the Jet. It does a decent job. I don't know that I would want the platen any shorter. I don't build over-sized pieces and have wished for more belt length more than once. The need for oscillation will depend on your need for the resulting surface. If non-oscillating is OK for you I would go that way and avoid the complications/maintenance of those components. That being said, all my Jet has done is work since the day I got it. Being an entry level machine it does not have a very elegant table adjustment system but, folks have cobbled their own improvements. I added a larger shop made table with a better shop made fence for squaring.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have the Jet as well. Zero complaints But yes you do have to deal with the lack of a convient table height adjustment. I have cut 1x2x3 blocks out of hardwood to insert into the "height adjustment" ways. I'll be honest: it's a pain, but it isn't required often enough to be a deal breaker.
    I wanted the Grizzly but it was delayed longer than I could wait so I bought the Jet. Adjusting the table height just isn't something you do all that much. I have never regretted my purchase.

I have the Jet. I have created a handwheel for the table. The grind on the table is not very appealing. I would not consider anything non oscillating. Delta is Dead and would not touch with a 1o foot pole

The vega edge sander is supposedly built like a tank. http://vegawoodworking.com/product/edge-belt-sander/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Clawson View Post
    Of the following edge sanders, does anyone have an opinion, pro or con? Any one of these should suit my needs, just wondering if anyone has any particular issues with any of the listed items. Motor HP seems similar. I have looked for a while for a used one. Either they are industrial units that are huge and I can't move them or the price asked is silly.

Jet OES-80CS 6x89” oscillating edge sander. My understanding is that the oscillation of more belt tracking as opposed to an actual mechanical oscillating system. $1019 (tool nut, total price, no tax, free shipping).

Delta 31-482 6x89” oscillating edge sander. Not sure of the oscillation mechanism. Looks exactly like the Jet so could be oscillating in the same manner. $1015 (amazon, free shipping but with tax).

Grizzly G1140 6x80” edge sander. Looks reasonably robust. $904 with shipping.

Shopfox W1688 6x80” edge sander. Looks like the Grizzly. $1090 with shipping.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

David
    Everything you've listed would be considered hobby and would probably last you a lifetime

I have the G1140. Works great for my hobby stuff. The table height adjustment is easy--loosen two knobs and spin the wheel to adj. I had a Powermatic ES and it had table adj. similar to the Jet-- a knob on each side of the table that allows you to elevate each side independently but takes two hands to do. Not as easy as the Griz but does let you angle the table to manage paper clogging or burning. I have considered stepping up to the larger Griz 0654 osc. ES for the larger platen size but I don't need the longer sanding surface that often. Biggest consideration for you IMHO would be platen size and if you need to sand stock longer than 29"s. I live close to the Bellingham showroom and the 0654 is a nice machine, just haven't stepped up yet. The Vega OES looks nice as well but Griz I a better value for me. Good luck shopping.

Thanks to everyone that took the time to reply. It seems as if a number of individuals like the Jet, though the table height adjustment seems to be a bit of an issue. The grizzly table height adjustment seems easier, but it does not oscillate. While the Vega appears to be a very nice machine, it is twice the price and probably not necessary for a hobbyist such as myself. Again, thanks to those that took the time.