Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Keyless ignitions

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I have a key in a "vault" attached to my house in a place where it's not obvious (that's in case I lose my key).

Mike
    I also have a "vault" on the side of my house put there about 25 years ago. Problem is , I no longer remember the combo to get in (:
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dye View Post
    What, exactly, is the purpose of a keyless ignition switch?
    Biggest single reason would be theft-prevention: several orders-of-magnitude more possible "key" codes.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    One disadvantage of the key less ignition system is if you are traveling with another person that also has a key for that car and you decide to leave the key in a jacket or purse in the trunk, the system won't let you lock the car. I know this is true for all cars, but it is true with our Honda Accord.
    Not a problem: https://www.amazon.com/Silent-Pocket.../dp/B01MTNKVO4
    (That's the first one I found just now, but as I recall the one I use was only $7-$8.)

I like how, with a bit of fiddling, the Honda setup lets you give the fob to a valet without giving them access to the trunk or glove box...I just wish the console also had a lock.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    I misplaced the "key" part of my keyless ignition fob.

I'm looking at a $300 charge when I turn in the leased car unless the stupid thing surfaces.

For that reason alone, I'd never have one again.(keyless)

Other than that, I really enjoyed the thing.

Anyhow - -yeah, the brake pedal has to be depressed so you pretty much have to be seated in the driver's seat.
    Do you have the 5 or 6 digit code? If you do, you can get a replacement for about $50.

Usually the code is on a metal tag that is attached to one of the FOBs.

Do you have the 5 or 6 digit code? If you do, you can get a replacement for about $50.
    Yes - - I have it , but, it's a leased vehicle & I was pre-warned that if I lost the fob or the key part, it would cost me $300 ..
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Donley View Post
    I also have a "vault" on the side of my house put there about 25 years ago. Problem is , I no longer remember the combo to get in (:
    You forgot to write the combination on the wall next to the "vault" in case you forgot it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    I misplaced the "key" part of my keyless ignition fob.

I'm looking at a $300 charge when I turn in the leased car unless the stupid thing surfaces.

For that reason alone, I'd never have one again.(keyless)

Other than that, I really enjoyed the thing.

Anyhow - -yeah, the brake pedal has to be depressed so you pretty much have to be seated in the driver's seat.
    I have two fobs for my Mazda. I lost the key on one of them - but I had a duplicate on the other fob. Mazda charged me $70 to make a replacement. I thought that was expensive but the key had to fit into the fob and no one else made one.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Keyless ignition for me has been a nightmare. Pulled up to gas station, turned motor off, but did not put car in park, and car rolled across highway. Could have killed someone. I know, put the car in park knucklehead, but if I had a key i could not pull it when not in park, but I am able to turn off motor with keyless push button. So very easy to leave car running when quiet engine runs in park. If you leave the car running in garage it can cause carbon monoxide death especially if bedroom over garage. Google search reveals many problems. I hate it - and the cost of replacement fobs is crazy! Mark

Here's a different twist. My wife works for a group of doctors, one who has a brand new Tesla, his third since Tesla began producing cars. This car is incredible, right down to knowing when the good doctor is getting close to the car and energizing itself. Now, his wife doesn't like the car, instead choosing to drive a more "civilized" BMW. The Tesla was in the shop for some updates, and the doctor had to borrow the wife's Beemer. Upon returning, he closed the garage door, got out of the car, and proceeded to go about his daily work. Luckily, several hours later, he was shocked to have the alarm company calling him to report high carbon monoxide levels in the house. Lo and behold, he had gotten out of the BMW and, following his normal Tesla habits, walked away. He never turned the ignition off. Could have killed his entire family. That hi-tech alarm system paid for itself that day.

Geez...my Ford shifts itself into park if I open the drivers door and shuts itself off after a certain amount of time to prevent both of those issues.

apparently, with the Tesla you can lock your keys in your car.
    But if you have the app on your phone, you can unlock it from anywhere in the world. Of course, if your car doesn't have cell coverage you are outta luck

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Geez...my Ford shifts itself into park if I open the drivers door and shuts itself off after a certain amount of time to prevent both of those issues.
    My Ford Fusion tells me if it is not in park if I shut the motor off and open the drivers door. It also honks the horn twice if I close the drivers door with the motor running.
    Last edited by George Bokros; 05-31-2017 at 7:52 AM.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Mine is also a Fusion, a 2017 so it has the rotary shifter.

My wife has keyless ignition and I think it is awesome. You don't have to fumble around for the key to get in and start the car. My car has a gigantic alarm fob with a mechanical key poking out. Most of my pants have worn holes near the pocket from the key sticking out. The alarm fob on my wife's car is the same size, but doesn't need the mechanical key sticking out. It is hidden inside the fob for emergencies.

I keep separate key chains for each car with just a house key and car key on each. Otherwise, I would have to start carrying around a suitcase size purse like my wife uses. She keeps all the car keys together.

Steve