Thread: VHS to digital.

VHS to digital.

I have a lot of home movies recorded on VHS. I would like to transfer them to digital. Not too concerned transferring the to DVD because that seems outdated to today standards but may want to so I can share with other family members.

What have you used and recommend?
    Not looking for anything fancy. Just get the job done,
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I had a bunch transferred to CDs about 10 years ago. It wasn't expensive.

Note, however, that VHS quality is not very good by today's standards.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I used to have a dual system recorder - VHS on one side DVD on the other. Copied a lot of VHS to DVDs on that. That was about 12 years ago. There may be some of those still out there in used electronics forums. But I think you can hook up a VHS player directly to a DVD recorder and do it that way, if you have both.
    Last edited by Stan Calow; 05-20-2017 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Note, however, that VHS quality is not very good by today's standards.

Mike
    I had several VHS tapes converted when the DVD players took over. I don't want to toss them, but I can't bear watching the horrible video quality either. High-def has spoiled me.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I've got this box that I bought years ago that will rip DVDs and video tapes to your computer. I just checked and you can still get it on Amazon. No clue how it works on modern computers, but it might be an option.

https://www.amazon.com/ADS-Tech-DVD-.../dp/B00009YUPS

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I had several VHS tapes converted when the DVD players took over. I don't want to toss them, but I can't bear watching the horrible video quality either. High-def has spoiled me.
    I'm certainly no A/V expert but have read that what display you watch on makes a difference. VHS is supposed to look better on CRT TVs than on LCD displays. Maybe display size/non-HD enters into it? I have no idea. Of course CRT based TVs are not exactly common these days.

Even our small city has company that offers this service--they advertise on Craigslist and Facebook. It doesn't sound very expensive either.

Our library has the computer input device that connects a VHS player with the computer to loan out. Includes the software.
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

I bought the Diamond VC500 a couple of weeks ago, after looking at reviews of several units. This one is excellent, and the software that comes with it is very good. It plugs into the VCR outputs and into a USB port on my PC. Recording is very simple and if you like, it has built in burning software to burn DVD's.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON