Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Four Seasons Hotel, Kyoto

Four Seasons Hotel, Kyoto

I seldom post pictures of work I do professionally. Non-disclosure agreements get in the way. But I had the opportunity to visit the Four Seasons Hotel, Kyoto, a project I worked on a few years ago as a team member of the design/build general contractor, Taisei Corporation. I am no longer employed by Taisei, and without the NDA restrictions getting in the way, I was able to take some pictures you might enjoy.

I will need to break this into two posts.

For around 800 years, the site was the home of feudal lords, most notably the ultra-famous Taira clan know from the Heikei Monogatari. Taira no Kiyomori, perhaps the most famous of the bunch, is said to have built the pond. It is the only remnant of those days, and is registered as a historic site, a designation it deserves, but which makes it difficult and expensive to dance heavy equipment around on a tight jobsite, if you know what I mean. The Kyoto folks are very protective of old stuff.

When I got involved it was a hospital owned by Japan Tobacco. Specialized in lung cancer, I suppose. Good riddance to an ugly building.

While it is a beautiful hotel with some very interesting features, it is an interpretation of Japanese architecture, updated to modern times, by a Japanese commercial architect (Kume) directed by Canadians. I think they could have done a better job of the exterior elevations and roof profiles, considering the neighborhood. Oh well.

The cheapest guestroom starts at around $500, and 90% of the guests are non-Japanese. The hotel business in Kyoto is booming, and the 4S is 100% reserved months in advance. At that rate, I suspect it will break even within 2-3 more years, which is phenomenal for the risky hotel business.

The teahouse, on the other hand, is an interesting adaptation for foreign customers. The setting is beautiful and the quality of the woodwork is superb. There are some great craftsmen in Kyoto.

I hope you enjoy the pictures.

Stan

4S Chaya from Room Window_01.jpgDSC_0081_01.jpgDSC_0062_01.jpgDSC_0065_01.jpgDSC_0068_01.jpg
    Last edited by Stanley Covington; 05-21-2017 at 6:21 AM.

Second Set of Pictures

Blog Entries
    Awesome! Thanks for sharing. I am curious- why would there be a NDA for this type of work?

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Awesome! Thanks for sharing. I am curious- why would there be a NDA for this type of work?
    Foreign (non-Japanese) companies always have NDA's they insist companies sign. Contractors and consultants have information re planning, contracts, loans, and cost that might be inconvenient if it became public. I would never reveal that sort of information if there was an NDA or not, but the NDA bound me in all matters so long as I worked for Taisei.

Stan

Blog Entries
    Awe inspiring work! Amazing how cleanly planed every surface is.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Awe inspiring work! Amazing how cleanly planed every surface is.
    Not all of it is planed. The exterior of the round members is natural with the bark peeled and then polished. The trees have to be maintained while growing to limit limbs and knots.

"Round Work" as it is called is quite difficult IMO. I never figured it out, but the guys that have figured it out say that, once you do learn how to do it, its easier than square work.

Stan

http://www.kyotokitayamamaruta.com/process/

The wood for the teahouse came from this company. Follow the arrow on the bottom right of the page to next page with videos.

The pictures below are not of the 4S teahouse, but the wood and joints are similar.

Migaki Maruta 1.jpgMigaki Maruta 2.jpgmaruta 3.jpgMigaki Maruta 4.jpgmigaki Maruta 5.jpgMigakimaruta 6.jpg
    Last edited by Stanley Covington; 05-21-2017 at 10:39 AM.

The engineering of the structure looks far less 'predictable' than western construction. It must make the calculations far more difficult.

Blog Entries
    Ha, I did not know that peeled post was a literal meaning, I always thought it was done with a draw knife and a yariganna. Amazing to see them literally peeling the bark off. Tight fitting round work amazes me, thanks for sharing this project. It is fun to look in on such incredible detail.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    The engineering of the structure looks far less 'predictable' than western construction. It must make the calculations far more difficult.
    Not that many calcs. Most of the small members in the roof are ignored in the analysis for purposes other than bearing and compressive axial forces.

Another interesting fact is that, unlike the Western tradition which relies on the triangle to brace against racking, and therefore puts at least one joint of the three in tension, a situation wood does not like, the Japanese tradition relies on bending and compression, and only seldom on tension, a situation that wood is much happier with, and better able to endure for hundreds of years.

Measurements are all made from centerlines.

They are used to doing it in Japan, whereas wooden structures are something few engineers understand, and even fewer building departments are willing to even consider in the US. "First thing, we kill all the lawyers."

I understand the Germans and Swiss are pretty good with wooden structures. Once again, long, continuous history.

Stan
    Last edited by Stanley Covington; 05-21-2017 at 10:03 AM.

Man, that pond is beautiful. To my eyes Stan, the architects blended the building in pretty well. But I'm not standing there looking at the whole like you are. I think it's a beautiful place. Wish I could swing $500 a night - it looks restful.

Fred

Blog Entries
    Great images and commentary.

Like Frederick, it won't be soon for me to spend a night there.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I like the lightness of Japanese building, the feeling of being close to nature. The materials don't have the durability of concrete and steel, but you feel the generations of craftsmanship, and I think we buy into a certain curatorial / delightful attitude towards these buildings and places that we never would with a steel and concrete structure.

Thanks for sharing. Lovely building and beautifull work.

Wow! That is gorgeous work and excellent design!

I'll have to take a tour of your projects one of these days after I can get some time to escape my office.

Amazing work. Thanks for sharing!
    Gary