Thread: curved sofa table

curved sofa table

Latest project I’ve been working on slowly for a few months. It’s white oak and walnut with a tung oil finish, then paste waxed. Curved apron wasn’t too hard, but the curved mortises in the legs to exactly fit the apron was a bit tricky.
    I’m a little worried that the bottom shelf will expand/contract and pull away from the legs. But I didn’t want to use plywood because the wood color likely would not match the top. The shelf is glued and toe-nailed from the underside.
    Fun little project.

Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Thomas, that table really works for me. It just feels right. The fluting and contrasting plugs offer just enough interest to draw the eye. I subscribe to the saying that "if its worth making, its worth making out of walnut" so I love the material choices.

Pocket holes can have a stigma although this type of joint has been used "forever". A pocket hole with an oversized through hole to attach the shelf to the rear leg would allow for movement. This would not change your current joint except in the anchoring method (instead of glue). Furniture makers have used this innocuous joint to solve problems since before it became marketed as a "quick joint" for modern panel assembly.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 05-21-2017 at 9:57 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

That's a very attractive and well proportioned table. I especially appreciate the broad curve and the flutes that are just the right size. Did you use CAD to design and help execute that fine curve ?

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    That's a very attractive and well proportioned table. I especially appreciate the broad curve and the flutes that are just the right size. Did you use CAD to design and help execute that fine curve ?
    Thanks for the compliments. I did not use CAD. It's a true elipse. I used a string and two nails to define the axes of the elipse on an MDF form. I used the form to curve laminates of walnut for the apron. And the top and shelve were shaped off of the finished apron. The rest, I just winged-it. Wish I had made the a narrow parts of the legs just a tad wider.

Glenn, I thought about pocket joints. I am not opposed to them, but was worried the legs weren't quite thick enough for a screw and the dado was a must to support the shelf. There is a wide middle leg in the back under the bottom shelf that cannot be seen in the photos. It's attached with glue and dowel pins.

GREAT looking table......
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution