Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: noise from lathe phase conveter

Quote Originally Posted by allan kuntz View Post
    I have taken it apart as far as I am comfortable with. I found the fan and it does not spin freely by hand. I plugged it in and I would say the noise is coming from the fan.It starts as so as I turn it on and stops as soon as the fan stops spinning which is a bit after the the power is turned off. I assume it is supposed to keep running to cool things down. The connection for the fan is deeper in the box and will wait for the tech to show up
    Al

Thats TS one of ththe very few replaceable parts.
    soak it in silicone or get a new one. Cheap and easy.

Alan,where is the tech coming from, is he a Busy Bee employee? Has Busy Bee been of any assistance with this issue, how is their service? I own a smaller lathe sold by Busy Bee, they weren't much help when I had an issue. I live in Atlantic Canada, and I bought the lathe when I was visiting my daughter in Ottawa. When I called them about the issue I was having, they wouldn't do anything for me unless I brought the lathe into their service center. I got some assistance from a fellow turner, the lathe works great now. I was not impressed with the service I got.
    Len

Fans are cheap (like ten bucks) and are easily replaced. Some fans can be rejuvenated by putting a drop of oil on each bushing. Come back if you need more guidance on selecting and replacing it.

Quote Originally Posted by allan kuntz View Post
    I have taken it apart as far as I am comfortable with. I found the fan and it does not spin freely by hand. I plugged it in and I would say the noise is coming from the fan.It starts as so as I turn it on and stops as soon as the fan stops spinning which is a bit after the the power is turned off. I assume it is supposed to keep running to cool things down. The connection for the fan is deeper in the box and will wait for the tech to show up
    Al

The tech is a local who works with vfds in the oil patch. I had a major issue with Busy Bee on a different lathe. The Ct128 with a DC motor that went to hell about 2 months after warranty. The grizzly and Laguna all ran a DC motor and all have gone to AC. I stared a thread on another Canadian forum that had quite a following. Finally got a PM from a fellow from Busy Bee who is a member and we worked it out after about a month of bashing their customer service
    Olaf what kind of silicone are you referring to
    Al

Silicone lubricant in a spray can, from Home Depot or similar.
    The bearing in the middle is tiny, so it needs to penetrate the gaps

So I found the problem. When I opened up the cover exposing the VFD one of the mounting holes in the plastic case was quite broken. Well i guess after 4 years a small piece must have worked its way into the fan. I had tried to take the fan out but the wires were deep into the case so I waited for the tech to show. So when he did show up he told me to start it up so he could hear what it sounded like. Well after taking the fan out the pieces must have fallen out and it purred like a kitten. I felt like a fool. I have epoxied it back together as best i could. Kinda poor quality control but I suppose if you cant see it and it works that's good enough. I just have to put everything back together and its back to turning
    Thanks to all for the suggestions
    Al

those fans do need cleaning every so often as they do get a build up of dust on then and they can get npoisy from that
    ron