Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: noise from lathe phase conveter

noise from lathe phase conveter

A high pitch whining just started on my lathe from the phase converter. The converter is a Delta VFD-M. The model number is VFD015M21A. Is there cooling fan in these units. It sounds like a fan squeal.
    Any ideas
    Al

Allan, I checked the manual for your VFD and did not see anything about a built in fan. Just a guess on my part but I would think you probably have some sawdust inside it. Try using compressed air to blow it out and see if that doesn't help. Course - the usual cautions apply - unplug the lathe first.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

as Steve says, it more than likely is dust
    ron

Thanks guys. I tried that
    I took the cover off and did blow it out. Didn't help
    Al

Just found out that this is a VFD. Does that help trouble shooting
    Al

6. I have a Delta M series vfd on my G0766 lathe. There is a small amount of high frequency hum/noise/chirp......whatever you want to call it. After using the lathe for 2 years it hardly is noticeable at all. Mine is quieter today than when first it was new. I think some of this is normal.
    What lathe do you have?
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

What brand of lathe is it, that you own?

there is a user manual on these. perhaps there may be an answer under troubls shooting. you have to own one to log in to it online
    ron

My lathe is a Craftex CX802 distributed by Busy Bee Tools. It looks the same as the Grizzly GO733. My lathe is 4 years old and the VFD always had a bit of a hum but this morning it is squealing like a dry bearing or bushing on a fan
    Thanks
    Al

Couple of things. If it has sit for awhile without power, it will likely whine. If it has been unplugged for awhile, try leaving it plugged in for a couple of days to a week. That may reform the capacitors to the point where the whine goes down, or away.

My actech vfd lets you change the internal frequency (not the sine wave of the power). Playing with that can also change the hum outside of the range of the human ear. Shop dogs still may not be happy though :-)

I put together a lathe after have some components sit of the shelf for awhile.

Note: if your vfd has set for a year or two without power, plug it in, and let is powered on overnight before you turn on the motor.

Note 2: if you unplug your VFD, wait at least 90 seconds before you plug it back in. It could (not aways) fry your VFD with the current onrush. There are some big capacitors in there that like to discharge when unplugged
    Last edited by Michael Schneider; 05-21-2017 at 7:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by allan kuntz View Post
    It sounds like a fan squeal.
    Any ideas
    Al
    http://www.deltaww.com/filecenter/Pr...N_20150831.pdf

there is a fan in that unit. Basically a computer fan. Bearings do wear. But try soaking the Center section of the fan in silicone. Let it try, then start of up again.

if that doesn't help, unplug the fan, start the vfd, no load, see if there is Noise.
    if you can't fix the fan, get a new one from the computer store. It's plug And play.

its a good VFD. I have several, never an issue.

Thanks for all the info. The lathe had been unplugged for a bit. I plugged it in and will see what happens.I have a tech stopping over tomorrow and hope to get an answer
    Al

Thanks for all the info. The lathe had been unplugged for a bit. I plugged it in and will see what happens.I have a tech stopping over tomorrow and hope to get an answer
    Al
    Probably not needed here, but something I do to find the exact source of a noise on anything from small devices to engines: listen with a stethoscope or a stethoscope substitute. You can buy one at the auto parts store with a probe that will fit into a tight spot. I generally use one of several medical stethoscopes which are more comfortable and pick up sound better. Also, a big screwdriver with a plastic handle works well - press the rounded handle end against the ear and touch the working end to various places until the sound is the loudest.

A fan bearing noise should be easy to find, though, even without any aid. Another thing that can make a noise on a fan is an imbalance due to something on a blade. Also, various electronic components (such as a capacitor or a small transformer) can make a noise, although rarely and usually very faint - the tone will be the same frequency of the oscillating circuit is a part of. If lubricating a fan shaft/bearing I use a lubricant that dries to prevent accumulating dust.

A bit of trivia about diagnosing with sound - you can tell if a beehive has been without a queen for a day or two by the sound inside the hive - the sound is distinctive and perhaps described as "frantic" in pitch and volume compared to the normal. No listening aid needed, I just press my ear against the back of the brood chamber.

JKJ

I have taken it apart as far as I am comfortable with. I found the fan and it does not spin freely by hand. I plugged it in and I would say the noise is coming from the fan.It starts as so as I turn it on and stops as soon as the fan stops spinning which is a bit after the the power is turned off. I assume it is supposed to keep running to cool things down. The connection for the fan is deeper in the box and will wait for the tech to show up
    Al

Cooling fan options

...I assume it is supposed to keep running to cool things down. ...
    The VFDs I've seen that had fans could be programmed for several options. From the manual for that model the parameters for PR.114 on page 4-11 indicate:

Cooling fan control
    00: Fan Off when the drive stop after 1 Min.
    01: AC Drive Runs and Fan On, AC Drive Stops and Fan Off
    02: Always Run

JKJ