Thread: water based conversion varnish or lacquer over water based stain on psa veneer

water based conversion varnish or lacquer over water based stain on psa veneer

I am applying a psa veneer over existing face frames on kitchen cabinets and will be staining with a wiping stain supplied from the cabinet front supplier. The wiping stain is a water based stain and i would like to know if a water base conversion varnish or a water based lacquer bought from target coatings applied over the stain would need a barrier coat of shellac to keep the stain from bleeding.And also would i need to put a washcoat shellac on the veneer before staining to keep the veneer from absorbing to much moisture and buckling or compromising the adhesive. Thank you.
    Steve T.

First, on the "wash coat" question...a water soluble dye stain isn't going to work very well if you seal the wood first.

Personally, I always put a barrier coat between water soluble color and my water borne top coats just to be sure there's no issue. Some folks don't do it, however. My suggestion is to make up a couple of test pieces to finish in various ways to see what works best for you. A sprayed light coat of the Target finish will "likely" dry quickly enough not to mess with the color, but testing is the only way to be sure...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I agree with Jim. Forget the sealer before staining and do a test piece to see which way works. Cheers