Thread: Help Choosing A Stationary Sander, Belt, Oscillating Spindle Disc?

Help Choosing A Stationary Sander, Belt, Oscillating Spindle Disc?

I have a very small shop, in a 1 car garage, so space is more of a premium than cost. Just a hobbysist, but I do a wide variety of projects so I like to have a broad range of capabilities.

I currently have a Rockwell Combination Belt and Disc Sander, I rarely use the disc portion and added a a piece of plywood to the belt sander to give me a larger reference surface.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rockwell-...&wl13=&veh=sem

The machine is okay, would like a bit more power, but what I really would like is an Oscillating Spindle Sander.

The Rigid seams to combine all the features I want but the belt portion seems lacking.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Os...4424/100061671

Should I add the Rigid and get rid of the Rockwell, or add a more serious Oscillating Sander like a Jet Benchtop, and keep the Rockwell.

http://www.jettools.com/us/en/p/jbos...ph-115v/708404

Or maybe forget the Rockwell entirely, get a Large Disc Sander and the Jet Spindle Sander?

http://www.cpojettools.com/jet-70843...FVlMDQodFZcBdg

Any help would be appreciated.

Blog Entries
    I had the small belt disc combination and also found it lacking for much of what I wanted to do. I bought the Ridgid and for the money it is a great little tool; only 40 lbs, I used to keep it in a cabinet when not in use. I thought I wanted a spindle sander but, I discovered what I really wanted was an oscillating belt and more of one than the Ridgid offered.

Bear in mind this was my journey and yours may take a different path. I bought the Jet OES-80CS and that pretty much solved my oscillating belt needs. I missed the spindle sander, little though I actually used it. Rather than spend nearly $500 on a Jet benchtop, I bought the Grizzly G0529 for just a bit more and got the spindle sander and a 12" disc. I find the 12" disc actually useful whereas I found smaller discs of little value.

I have other sanders as well but, the belt, spindle and disc handle the bulk of my work.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 05-21-2017 at 4:01 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

"Should I add the Rigid and get rid of the Rockwell...?"

That's what I did, although my version of your Rockwell was sold under a different name. I like the Ridgid better, mostly for the oscillation. I don't do enough of that kind of sanding to justify the cost of the more substantial machine.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I had the small belt disc combination and also found it lacking for much of what I wanted to do. I bought the Ridgid and for the money it is a great little tool; only 40 lbs, I used to keep it in a cabinet when not in use. I thought I wanted a spindle sander but, I discovered what I really wanted was an oscillating belt and more of one than the Ridgid offered.

Bear in mind this was my journey and yours may take a different path. I bought the Jet OES-80CS and that pretty much solved my oscillating belt needs. I missed the spindle sander, little though I actually used it. Rather than spend nearly $500 on a Jet benchtop, I bought the Grizzly G0529 for just a bit more and got the spindle sander and a 12" disc. I find the 12" disc actually useful whereas I found smaller discs of little value.

I have other sanders as well but, the belt, spindle and disc handle the bulk of my work.
    i wish that Grizzly came in a Benchtop Variant, can't handle another tool on a stand, but that would have been perfect. If I had the space I probably would go your route.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    "Should I add the Rigid and get rid of the Rockwell...?"

That's what I did, although my version of your Rockwell was sold under a different name. I like the Ridgid better, mostly for the oscillation. I don't do enough of that kind of sanding to justify the cost of the more substantial machine.
    i that's what I'll do, just get the Rigid and see if it works for me before getting rid of the Rockwell. Thabks.

Like Bill, it looks to me like the Rigid would take the place of that Rockwell easily, plus giving you an option of spindle sanding.

If you are short on room check out the various flip stands in the mags or on you tube. Two tools in the space of one....pretty hard to beat.

I would suggest building one with the Rigid on one side, and a benchtop 12" disk on the other. The little disc sanders are very limited in value, but the larger ones are useful (my opinion only).
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Like Bill, it looks to me like the Rigid would take the place of that Rockwell easily, plus giving you an option of spindle sanding.

If you are short on room check out the various flip stands in the mags or on you tube. Two tools in the space of one....pretty hard to beat.

I would suggest building one with the Rigid on one side, and a benchtop 12" disk on the other. The little disc sanders are very limited in value, but the larger ones are useful (my opinion only).
    Good idea with the flip top, unfortunately I don't have the space, I'm actually taking my Dewalt Planer off the stand and makeing a lower stand to store it under the Outfeed of my jointer.

A few Months ago I replaced my conventional workbench with a Festool MFT and a Tracksaw. I no longer use my Sliding Miter Saw that I have on top of a tool Cabinet, so that's what I'm contemplating putting there. But the rigid is light enough to keep on a shelf. So I may have a little more space. Drum Sander?
    Last edited by Bill Dindner; 05-21-2017 at 5:23 PM.

The Ryobi oscillating spindle sander is remarkably good for an inexpensive machine.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I was making bandsaw boxes and they require a lot of sanding. I borrowed a spindle sander from a friend and, after using it I decided against buying one. I found that the hard drums would dig into the wood too much to suit me. I then purchased two different sized pneumatic drums that I use in my drill press. Works much better for me. The drum can be made as hard or soft as I like by varying the air pressure in the drum. Also, because the drum is flexible they do not load up like the hard ones do.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

I considered the Ridgid awhile back, but looked at online reviews of the tool. There are a lot of bad ones, mostly concerning the motor burning out. I also know someone who had a different problem with the sander; something broke on it but no specifics. Don't know if any of the reviews are legitimate or accurate, but there seem to be quite a few bad ones about the motor. Just thought that I'd let you know before you bought one. I have an old Rockwell (before the current Rockwell company) oscillating spindle sander which I rarely use. I've thought about getting rid of it but, for those rare uses, there is nothing better.