Thread: Silly little gloat

Silly little gloat

I found a grinder , on a stand, on CL for $5.

It looked like a piece of junk, as the grinder was a 1930's (?) HVAC 1/6HP motor with an arbor adaptor and a worn out grinding wheel. I was the first one to take the trouble to look at it, and only because it was local. To my surprise, it ran like a champ, and I bought it. Not because it ran, but because the steel stand it was on was also from the Pleistocene era, and I could hardly lift it. It took three of us to put it in my truck.

When I got it home, I asked a buddy if he wanted the motor and wheel. He offered me $10 for it, and I refused. I told him I had a policy of only profiting 20% from friends and gave it to him for $6. Heck, he couldn't get the arbor adapter for that, so he grabbed it and we were all happy including the seller, who just wanted it to disappear.

HOLD EVERYTHING: I just looked up the motor on E-bay. It is a Wagner 1/6HP 1750 RPM Type 3 RB motor, and I just found one like it on E-bay for $50, and it may not even run. Looks like my buddy made out pretty good.

On the other hand, I went out and found a tag on the grinder stand I am keeping, and under several layers of paint, which almost fell off, It says it is a Black and Decker 8" type C, pedestal grinder stand. The B&D logo on the tag is a large central nut with red wings that say Black and Decker on them. It is really heavy duty.

I am betting on WWII vintage. Can anyone date it?
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 05-21-2017 at 5:47 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

A thread like this with no pics?

I want to see pictures too!

The stand for the bigger grinder in my little welding shop is a piece of heavy 8x8" H-beam with 1/2" plates welded on the top and bottom. Easy to make and extremely stable.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    I found a grinder , on a stand, on CL for $5.

It looked like a piece of junk, as the grinder was a 1930's (?) HVAC 1/6HP motor with an arbor adaptor and a worn out grinding wheel. I was the first one to take the trouble to look at it, and only because it was local. To my surprise, it ran like a champ, and I bought it. Not because it ran, but because the steel stand it was on was also from the Pleistocene era, and I could hardly lift it. It took three of us to put it in my truck.

When I got it home, I asked a buddy if he wanted the motor and wheel. He offered me $10 for it, and I refused. I told him I had a policy of only profiting 20% from friends and gave it to him for $6. Heck, he couldn't get the arbor adapter for that, so he grabbed it and we were all happy including the seller, who just wanted it to disappear.

HOLD EVERYTHING: I just looked up the motor on E-bay. It is a Wagner 1/6HP 1750 RPM Type 3 RB motor, and I just found one like it on E-bay for $50, and it may not even run. Looks like my buddy made out pretty good.

On the other hand, I went out and found a tag on the grinder stand I am keeping, and under several layers of paint, which almost fell off, It says it is a Black and Decker 8" type C, pedestal grinder stand. The B&D logo on the tag is a large central nut with red wings that say Black and Decker on them. It is really heavy duty.

I am betting on WWII vintage. Can anyone date it?

Sorry about the pics, but since I got a new computer and a new company, I have no idea how to do them.

Computer dummy, but after looking at all of them on vintage machines, it seems it is maybe late 40's. The red wings on the logo seem to be the key, along with 8", type C.20170522_193241.jpg20170522_193207.jpg20170522_193227.jpg
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 05-22-2017 at 11:09 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I didn't know Redwing shoes/boots made grinders until today. Looks like they are really dental lathes for polishing 7 grinding leather and rubber. Was it a grinder or a dental lathe?
    Bill D.

Bill,

That's a joke, right?
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Bill,

That's a joke, right?
    It was late and I just skimmed the response and all I saw was the mention of redwings on the nameplate. Now that I think about it they could be two separate redwing companies.
    Bill

http://handlermfg.com/products/index...&products_id=1

[ATTACH=CONIFG]360698[/ATTACH]

OK, I got my grandaughter to get some pics posted for me. This is a pic of her College graduation a couple weeks ago. The pics are back up the page.

Sorry the pics are confused. This is the best we could do . Apparently the posting timed out as we were working on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 05-22-2017 at 11:35 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

That stand is awesome!!

And congrats on the graduation! (my younger daughter is about to graduate from HS and is starting at Penn State in August)
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 05-23-2017 at 11:45 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...