Thread: Parts for fancy commodes (toilets)

Parts for fancy commodes (toilets)

Do commodes with fancy features such as "dual flush" and "one piece design" generally take the same tank parts as the more ordinary type? For example, if a person installs a fancy commode and some tank part needs replacing, is it going to be a simple as a trip to a big box hardware store? - or will it be a special order?

The answer depends upon the particular product and what is "broken", but in general, the stuff at the big box stores is pretty limiting. Fortunately, the Internet is a bit less limiting and you can usually order OEM parts easily and quickly from a variety of sources. (Just check prices at several who offer it, both to be sure you get the better price and make sure you include any shipping charges as part of the price evaluation)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Generally - - no, there are no common parts....

For example, our Kohler Rialto (in it's day, a top shelf toilet) needed a $100 kit installed so it could take replacement parts on the inside of the tank.
    The kit was an "upgrade kit" so that the new parts, that replaced the old parts, could be installed.
    I had to buy the upgrade kit so I could buy a flapper - which I also had to special order because Lowes didn't sell them - and install it.
    It's toilet seat has special fasteners and runs about $75.00 - - and a special $75.00 tool is needed to install the special fasteners.....

The Flushmate we have in our downstairs half bath takes a special pressure assist unit.
    It runs $149.00 & is only available from a plumbing supplier(despite what the online places tell you, when you try to place the order, they change their story to - "We only sell to a licenced plumber")

I'm pretty sure Toto parts are pretty difficult to find also, but, I'm also pretty sure you can find and buy them online at least.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 05-22-2017 at 9:41 AM.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Getcha one a these bad boys! https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...QuxcIzAE&adurl=
    Oh, maybe not a fancy as you were looking at?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    I'm pretty sure Toto parts are pretty difficult to find also, but, I'm also pretty sure you can find and buy them online at least.
    Not necessarily, I replaced the complete valve assembly of one of our Toto one piece toilets with an off the shelf set from Lowes.

Cool!
    I'll have to check out Toto next time I replace a toilet then!
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon