Thread: Uncomfortable Rabbet Plane Made Comfortable

Blog Entries

Uncomfortable Rabbet Plane Made Comfortable

My Record #778 rabbet/rebate plane has never been comfortable to use. Often while using it my thoughts turn to how to make it a bit more comfortable for the left hand. Today with a need to cut rabbets for a back on a book shelf I finally had enough. A little time was taken to make a prototype out of some repurposed fire wood:

Record #778 with Front Knob.jpg

The Record uses a 10-24 screw, so the first order of business was to search to see if one of my screw bins had such a screw of decent length. Finding one of about 2" in length made it a go.

This was supposed to just be a trial of concept, but it is comfortable and works well. It might stay awhile or until ideas for a better design come to mind.

It can't be seen in this picture, the depth stop had a propensity to slip in use. So a bit of PSA abrasive paper was used on the depth stop and just for good measure the large washer is also backed with PSA abrasive paper.

I do not recall ever using the bull nose position on this plane, so it seem like a no loss situation.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 05-21-2017 at 9:55 PM. Reason: It can't be seen...
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the post! I have been looking at that model of Record plane for quite some time, and finally had one with a sort of reasonable price, but it does lack one part. It came in late last week, so the post couldn't have been more timely.

At any when you finish with the design, take a photo or two, if you have the time, to we can see how it goes together.

Mine came with the original manual, and Record called it a rebate plane. I would have called it a moving fillister plane, but am not sure what the best name is for it.

Again, thanks and regards,

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 05-21-2017 at 10:38 PM.

Blog Entries
    Stew, you are welcome.

What part is yours missing?

Not sure if I will do much with the design. Usually if something feels like a bit of alteration will make it more comfortable it will get a bit of tweaking.

With this one there was a lot of carving on the other side to fit in to the body of the plane.

One of my thoughts was to turn a knob on it before doing the carving.

If major changes are made they will be posted.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

The Woden W78

IMG_0890.jpg

Jim,

You made me go look at my 778, I'm assuming you used the screw for the bullnose iron to hold the bun.

ken

Hi Jim,

I am missing one of the rods. I have to measure the diameter, because I am thinking that I may have a piece of rod laying around that is just, or darned close, to being the right diameter.

Stew

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Jim,

You made me go look at my 778, I'm assuming you used the screw for the bullnose iron to hold the bun.

ken
    I was thinking of doing that but found one with the right thread in my boxes of screws.

Many times my proclivity for not throwing anything away has paid off well.

jtk

Interesting how differently we use our planes, Jim.

In my case, I removed the front knob from my Veritas Skew Rabbet Plane (which is also a moving fillister). My preference is lateral pressure against the work piece, with little down force at the toe, and more forward effort from the rear ...

Of course, one can only do this with this plane and the #778 if there is a secondary side fence - otherwise the blade is exposed!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Another good idea Jim. Thanks for posting it!
    Fred

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Another good idea Jim. Thanks for posting it!
    Fred
    Your welcome Frederic and thanks for the kind words.

Interesting how differently we use our planes, Jim.
    Hi Derek,

At times my grip is similar to yours. On the #778 it is not only uncomfortable, sometimes my finger has been nicked by the blade. I have drilled holes in piece of scrap to put them over the rods as is seen here:

#45 Side Handle.jpg

My desire was to have a more permanent solution. The sides of the added piece are flat and allow for some sideward thrust.

My little pun on the whole thing is with the front knob my rabbets/rebates were finished in Record time.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 05-22-2017 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Record time